I need some advice

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have a chicken that has had a butt that is poopy, like the feathers matted up. So I cut it all out when I realized it and that was that. Today I realized her crop was awful full compared to my other chickens so I automatically thought of the dreaded sour or impacted crop that I have managed to avoid so far. I went in and caught her and rubbed at it. I felt grain and a little knot that could have been hay or grass. The thing is as I was rubbing her eyes would start to close as if it felt good. Now, mind you I am not home on the weeks during the middle of the day when their crops are really full to see how the react when being held so this could be normal or not. I don't know. When she opened her mouth I didn't detect any overwhelming smell of sourness. So here is the question. Am I an overreacting concerned mommy OR is my concerns justified?
Any help or opinions on this would be helpful.

I would like to add that this evening when they go up I will check it and again in the morning. I thought to add some electrolytes and I have heard of giving ACV to them but I don't have any. And if I do find something else instead of ACV should I go ahead and give it to her without knowing for sure that is what it is?

Raw apple cider vinegar will only help, regardless whether there's any problem with the crop or not. Put into non-metal waterer, at ratio of 1 Tablespoon to 1 Gal water. If the crop is impacted, ACV will help keep down yeast & bad bacteria in the crop. You'll usually have to do more than just ACV, for impacted crop, but the best way to tell is check the crop first thing in the a.m. before the birds leave the roost. If crop is flat, there's no problem. If it's still full, then there's a problem. In other cases, ACV aids overall intestinal health and helps birds with diarrhea or runny poop.

Is there a certain kind of ACV I should get? For some reason I remember awhile ago a thread about needing a certain type. And where would I get this? Just a normal old grocery store? Is there anything else that wil do the job and work just as well? Thank you so much for your help.

Quote:
Is it important that it's not metal? I have two waterers, one plastic, one metal, and I added ACV today for the first time. What's going to happen in the metal one? Should I drain it and refill it with plain water? Thanks!

Just because her crop is large doesn't mean it's impacted. I would put the food away tonight and check her early in the morning to see if it's normal sized. A few of my girls get HUGE crops during the day, and to me they all feel different. Some feel kind of hard, while others are soft. Some chickens love having their crops massaged; it just feels good. Before starting any kind of treatment, I would do the early morning check. Also see if there's a pile of poop under where she roosted. If poop is getting through (and since she has issues with poop clumping up it seems it is), then that's a great sign. If the crop is smaller in the morning...all is good.
smile.png

You'll want to get the ACV with the mother in it. It's a bunch of gunk floating around the bottom of the bottle. BRAGG's is the brand mostly sold here on the east coast.

Well, this morning there still seemed to be a bulge. Not significantly large as the ball that was in there went away but the grainy and mushy feel was still there so I seperated her and have given her bread and butter on it. She is not tired or sick looking. This afternoon when I checked on her it felt funny but it is hard to tell and when I look at her from the side she looks like a chicken that has ate little bit ago and has digested some of it so it is a normal bulge that most chickens have but she hasn't ate all that much today. Also, I haven't seen a whole lot of poop though I know she had before I put her in the cage because of her dirty butt. Maybe she doesn't have much BECAUSE she hasn't ate a lot?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom