I need some advice

acates

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Shell Knob MO
Okay here's my problem. I bought some plain jane chicks from TSC. I wanted some "fancy" chickens so I found a breeder and bought 2 appenzeller spitzhaubens. They lady assured me that they would be ok in
the broder since they were only a week and 1/2 apart. Well the new babies kept wanting to go underneath the bigger ones and one of my new babies ended up with a broken neck :( I seperated the little one and set it next to brooder. The poor thing just cries and looks sad. I went in this morning and supervised them all together and she keeps wanting to go under all of them. There is only one that allows it. (Rather cute) but I am afraid it will get hurt. What do I do? I thought about getting her another friend so she won't be lonley. I have never raised chicks so any advice would be awesome.

Okay here's my problem. I bought some plain jane chicks from TSC. I wanted some "fancy" chickens so I found a breeder and bought 2 appenzeller spitzhaubens. They lady assured me that they would be ok in the broder since they were only a week and 1/2 apart. Well the new babies kept wanting to go underneath the bigger ones and one of my new babies ended up with a broken neck
sad.png
I seperated the little one and set it next to brooder. The poor thing just cries and looks sad. I went in this morning and supervised them all together and she keeps wanting to go under all of them. There is only one that allows it. (Rather cute) but I am afraid it will get hurt. What do I do? I thought about getting her another friend so she won't be lonley. I have never raised chicks so any advice would be awesome.

Sounds like the little one is cold and they don't like being alone. I usually keep newborns separate from older ones for at least a week. This allows them to gain strength and size. And newborns need to sleep more than older ones. Did the broken neck one die? I wasn't clear on your meaning about it.

Yes that one died. I had them together for 3 Days and were fine. I observed them and the older ones were not being mean. I think it got ran over or landed on... either way it couldn't walk or hold its head up and kept flooping around.
I am not sure why it would be cold. I have a heat lamp and a small heater for them. Its in a brooder inside an insulated shed. I just think it doesn't want to be alone.
This is my first time raising chickens and I know now not to put newborns with other chicks even if they are only a week or so apart. I am wondering if I should get her a friend or just wait it out until she is big enough to be with the others?

Yes that one died. I had them together for 3 Days and were fine. I observed them and the older ones were not being mean. I think it got ran over or landed on... either way it couldn't walk or hold its head up and kept flooping around.
I am not sure why it would be cold. I have a heat lamp and a small heater for them. Its in a brooder inside an insulated shed. I just think it doesn't want to be alone.
This is my first time raising chickens and I know now not to put newborns with other chicks even if they are only a week or so apart. I am wondering if I should get her a friend or just wait it out until she is big enough to be with the others?

I have raised single chicks and have a 3 day old one in the front room now. But I'll have other chicks hatching in a few days to put with it.
I think you and the chick would be happier if it had a friend. For now a mirror would help it not feel so alone. Mine spends a lot of time sleeping and standing in front of the mirror. I also try to hold it as often as I can.
hugs.gif

Find a feather duster and hang it downwards in one corner of the brooder. Then all the chicks that want to can 'cuddle' under the feathers and not run the risk of being hurt. 

yep feather duster or a small box they can barely fit in or you could do like I did on accident, I left a plastic coffee can in the coop and all 7 chicks slept in there.

Thanks guys I will try that until I can get another chick. Not sure if the breeder will have any the same age. She or he is an appenzeller spitzhauben. If she doesn't have any more does anyone have any suggestions on another breed?

Thanks guys I will try that until I can get another chick. Not sure if the breeder will have any the same age. She or he is an appenzeller spitzhauben. If she doesn't have any more does anyone have any suggestions on another breed?

When this chick gets a little older it should be able to go back in with the other chicks you have. I have successfully brooded chicks with 3 weeks different ages. I think once your young one learns of a better place it will be fine with the older chicks. Do give the young one a place to escape to.

That's the thing it doesn't want to escape it wants to be right up underneath them. I don't know if its the breed or what but they are cuddle bugs. Even when I hold it or one of the kids. Just wants to be cupped or bury itself.

see how its underneath the big one! I will just wait a week or two and put them all together. I'm not for sure what kind of chicks I got at TSC but they are flighty things. way to spunky now for the little one. They might be white plymouth rocks.
Thanks

It's instinctive for a young chick to try to get under pretty much anything bigger than it is. It's looking for a momma! It's not about heat necessarily, it's about the comfort. I second the feather duster idea. This is also why the Ecoglows and heat plates are great for brooding instead of a heat lamp....now if only they were as cheap as a lamp.

Back
Top Bottom