I need some broodiness this spring... Got hatchery RIR...

Kaceyx73

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
Hey all.

I've got 11 production strain RIR pullets, and would like them to rear at least a few clutches this year. I know the broodiness has been bred out of most of the production strain birds.
with 11, can I expect at least a couple to go broody this spring and summer, or should I find an adult hen from a broodier breed?

As it is, at the first sign of broodiness I will let it happen give her plenty of eggs. I'm just trying to come to grips with how often I'm likely to get a broody. I don't need every egg hatched, by any means, but a clutch in early spring, another late spring, and again in summer would be ideal. I like the idea of a self sustaining flock without having to mix in additional breeds, or put too much work into it. The 11 I have should provide way more than enough eggs, and probably enough to pay for feed, possible enough to fund a new coop or covered section of run.

If I do need a broody hen of a different breed, what would you guys suggest? I have been thinking of adding a few birds of another breed, preferably one geared more toward meat, or at least one that would compliment the RIRs in some way or another. I've read that Marans add size to most breeds, but not necessarily faster growth. How are they about broodiness? My adult rooster does appear to be a Marans cross, probably black tail buff. If they have a suitable broodiness, that would be great since I want to stick to just a couple of breeds.

The other part of the question is if I get a hen from a very broody breed, will I be fighting a hen that wants to be broody constantly?

If you guys need more info, or if I am not making much sense, feel free to let me know.

I think your chances of getting a broody RIR are pretty slim. If you want to hatch eggs get a silkie or cochin. Be aware that if you get a broody you will be battling that broody for life. They will be broody most of the time.

Good luck.

Silkies and Cochins are good hatchery based broodies.

Outside of hatchery strains, almost any dual purpose fowl like Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Rocks, Marans, etc are pretty broody.

Even more so are American and Oriental Gamefowl, Araucanas, and the sorts.

But, yeah, you're getting really slim odds of a broody production strain RIR. Sorry. Marans from non-hatchery stock, such as Black Coppers, are actually some pretty fast or moderately good growers, and yes, they're broody.

Thanx Illia and CMV.

Ive heard lots about the silkies and cochins being great broodies, but have also wondered about how they'd mix with the RIRs. They will likely be in the pen with my current flock, and unless the silkie is larger than what I think, Mr. Vic might be a little big to be on top...lol.

As for the Marans, is there a big difference in the varieties? The black tail buff would be great, if I can someone breeding close by. The lady that I contacted about Vic's genetics breeds them, but she's in Charleston, SC, about 4 hours away. Lots of BCM's around, that may be the default if I go the Marans route. Maybe I can find a couple from a breeder culling from the breeding pen....

Are they broody enough that one good hen would raise 2-4 clutches a year, or should I plan on having at least 2 or more?

Of course that sage Murphy will laugh as soon as get broody hens... they'll all stop laying and go broody at once!!!!
lol.png

I don't have enough experience in broody Marans yet to say how many she'll raise a year. As for Black Tailed Buffs - Golly go for it! Those aren't common at all, and need some more people.
smile.png

My Araucanas, if they were allowed, could raise about 5 clutches or more a year, but my Marans haven't shown me their full potential yet.

I agree that it is unlikely for production reds to go broody. Their value is their great egg laying and rugged demeanor. I really, really like them.

If I want a mixed flock of egg producers, I might add to those 11 RIRs some known broody types, such as Buff Orps or Australorps. Something that has solid egg production, but with far better broody tendencies.

Yeah I've been offered eggs by the lady in Charleston for free. Delivery whenever she happens to be up this way. I really don't want to go the incubator route, at least not now. For one, I'd like adult birds this spring to raise chicks. The other is I'm REALLY trying not to get involved with chicken math by becoming my own enabler....
roll.png
I'll leave that to you ladies.
lol.png

I still wonder if Mr. Vic is crossed, or just culled from breeding for not having the best show qualities. Here is a couple of pics, comment if you like. The more I see of other Marans, the more methinks if he's crossed its with another Marans.

73816_vic_in_the_new_run.jpg

73816_handsome_devil.jpg

73816_bo_and_mr_vic.jpg

73816_struttin.jpg

I do realize he isn't show quality, one way or the other. He IS a fantastic flock leader and still a beautiful bird to me. He has the white legsof the Marans, but white on his earlobes, too many points plus sidespurs on his fairly large comb, and not too visible in the pics is the slate gray mixed into his down, mainly visible in his rump feathers.

According to my "Chickens for Dummies" book the folowing breeds have a 75% chance or more of going broody: Ameraucana, Araucana, Brahma, Cochin, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons and Silkies. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom