I Need Some Chicken Tractor Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenAndMore, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I am wanting to make a chicken tractor for about 5 Old English Birchens. Does any one have an easy design that will last a long time, be predator proof, easy to build, an easily movable. Have you seen any good designs on YouTube? I have been looking but the ones I have seen don't give enough detail.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    The ark designs make a good easy chicken coop. It is very wind resistant and sturdy. It is easy to build because it's a triangle. You can make it as predator proof as you want dependent on your predators. You can close the very bottom floor if you choose or leave it open. I use a hardware cloth apron with mine. It's a 1-2 ft of hardware cloth around the coop to make digging impossible. The birds roost are in the higher part of the triangle. It can be made with an open or closed floor (2nd level) dependent on cold or hot climate. Open floor is easier and better in heat. They are easy to winterize.

Maybe 6x5 by 6h or 6x6 by 5.9 ft h for room to grow

the min would be 4x5 and 5 ft high

Not my coop but picture for example
    [​IMG]

For moving. I recommend building it with skids like on a sleigh to maneuver mud (wheels dig into texas clay and sink) and bigger handles on the end then the one displayed above.

This coop is more like mine but it's not. I had to buy mine because of injury or I would of loved to make mine. It has an open floor to deal with dallas heat.
    [​IMG]

It's kinda the regional favorite for where we are because of the strong plain winds and how well it handles them.

There is also the more boxy and hoop ones but they rely on wheels and are less wind resistant. The box has the biggest wind problems if not built low.

not mine but hoop example

[​IMG]

Not mine but box example
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by