I need some comfort from the BYC family...

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
This afternoon, when I went out to the coop to collect eggs (I hadn't done so in a couple days), I found one of my three Sebright hens laying in a nest box, frozen solid and dead. The past couple nights had been in single digits, and thinking that since they were all fullgrown now, that they could handle the cold without a heat lamp. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I brought her inside and tried to warm her up, incase she was still clinging to life. She did not wake up and was truly gone. I blame myself for this for not taking proper care of them. Being a busy high school student has its downfalls I guess... I called my parents as they weren't home. My stupid dad decides to tell me that if she had died of cold that all of them would have... what an idiot. Has he not heard of Natural Selection? Jeez.... I feel like a failure now.. Today we will be putting up the heat lamp so we do not lose more. I still remember only a few days ago she was begging me for treats out in the run
hit.gif
This is the first bird i've lost in the whole year that I've had my birds and hopefully it will be the last

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I'm sure it wasn't because you had no heat, mine roost inside a 3-walled barn with no heat whatsoever and I haven't lost any. It has been getting into the low 10s and single digits here as well. I know you're upset, but it was probably not due to any lack of care, she just wasn't strong enough
hugs.gif

don't be too hard on your dad. It sounds like he was trying to give you some comfort, and sorry he couldn't be there for you.

But I'm with him, and shelleyd. It wasn't the cold.

If you can, save the body and take it to your state ag lab for a necropsy. They might tell you what happened to your hen, and save you some further losses.

And keep coming to BYC.
hugs.gif

You do your best and you win some, you lose some. I know it hurts when stuff like that happens, but honestly, I'm betting she just wasn't strong in some way and the cold just made it worse, but wasn't the main cause.

Back
Top Bottom