I need some "HEAT HELP"

My11BabyChicks

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Ringwood
So we are embarking on 100 degree days here... Please give me some tips on keeping my girls safe thru this. I have 3 waterers out and some extra shade but is there anything else I can do?

What seems to help the most is keeping the air moving with a fan and giving a place to wet their feet. When it's hot here mine spend most of their time standing in front of the fan. Mine won't get in a kiddie pool or other container so I just make puddles for them. When the water is gone then they did holes and lay in the cool dirt. I also put ice cubes in their water and give them frozen or cold treats like watermelon.

Someone Posted On Here Before That They Fill Up 2 Liter Bottles And Freeze Them Then The Set It In The Coop. Said Their Birds Lay Against It When Their Hot Plus The Persperation Off The Bottle Helps Cool Them Also.

I started misting them and the run several times a day 3 days ago.
the 1st day the ran under the coop terrified.
the 2nd day the ran under the coop terrified but came out shortly after acting chipper:)
today I misted and they all just stood there letting the mist fall on their backs then started fluffing their feathers."they liked it"
I also give them cold treats like melons,cucumbers.

AWESOME! Great ideas! I will most definatly be putting these to good use! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
bow.gif

Quote:
awe Thanks, I have two a girl Kayla and my boy in the picture Kodiac bear there super great!
I wouldn't trade them for anything:) I'm new to keeping Chickens I have 8-7 week old Sexlink very friendly
they like to sit on my lap! are your chickens young too?

Back
Top Bottom