I need Some Help Please - Another One Dead

ParadiseChickens

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Little background first before I get to the question. I had 8 chicks that I got middle of March as 4 week olds. They stayed initially in a 100 gallon stock tank and were outgrowing it and we finally got their 12 x 12 converted horse stall renovated about 2 weeks ago. We left the floor as dirt but had to bring in some fresh dirt we dug from places in our pasture (10 acres) to level it out. They are all supposed to be hens but 3 of them have gotten twice or more than the rest and rather aggressive in comparison. They still apear to be hens since the 3 have no definite red comb or wattle but the verdict will be out until laying or crowing. Anyway about a week ago, one died and then Saturday another did. The did not appear to be sick and neither do the remaining ones. But then again, I am a new chicken owner.

BUT, I have stepped on the foot of one of the smallest and it is now walking with a limp and mostly just wants to lay down. It eats occassionally and I have tried to observe but have not seen her drink, maybe she has. She may indeed be sick if the others that died were but she does not appear sick. There is a thought by hubby and I that one of these aggressive chickens has killed the two that died but I just dont know. This little one is now separated from the others for rehab.

I have read on here to give polyvisol baby vitamins without iron but am not sure how to give it. I am going after some at Walmart. Do I add to her water or do I give by dropperful. Any other advice would be most welcome.

ETA - the little one that I have been hand feeding for the past 3 days is just the same this morning. She seems to protest a little more when I put the feed in her mouth so maybe a little more lively but still cant walk, just lays there. We went to church and came home to one of the remaining 5 laying in a corner. Was laying around a little more yesterday than the other 4 but I thought I was just worrying too much. Anyway, when I touched this one she fell over and just laid there unmoving, lifeless like. We culled her and buried her since there appeared no hope for her. Now I am frantic tho, they are dying about a week apart. I have now treated them all with Sulmet and added vitamin/eletrolyte to their water. What else can I do?

Last edited:
You can give it to her directly from the dropper. You can not overdose birds on Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron) because it is all water soluble vitamins. Any vitamins that are not used by the body are excreted as waste.

Good luck.

Thank you CMV. I gave the chick that is doing poorly some of the polyvisol vitamin early this afternoon. I just cant figure out if she is sick or is hurt. Since I had the 2 others dieearlier in the week, I first suspected that. But she has no symptoms of any of the diseases I read about on here. She will surely die tho because I dont see her eating or drinking. Oh, I dont spend every minute with her but I do go site and observe her. She is sorta puffed up looking, wants to just snuggle up and lay there. If she does get up and walk, she limps on her right foot, the one that stepped on.

If her problem is the hurt foot, how long does it take for something like that to get better? I would not think it is broken because she can walk on it.

I am in Texas with warm days getting to around 90, in case that info is needed.

Please, some advice please. This little thing is still alive this morning. She spent the night in the 100 gallon stock tank they had all been living in until 2 weeks ago. She is still huddled in the same corner as when I left her last night. She has her head up but not making a sound. She moves when I touch her. BUT I dont see any evidence of poo nor do I think she has drank any water not to mention feed. I assume she will die today but I have thought that for the last 3. She is my favorite little chicken and I cant stand to cull her.

What else can I do for her?

I would treat for cocci ASAP. You can get Sulmet or Corid at any agricultural store. I am grasping at straws, but her some of her symptoms are indicative of cocci.

Good luck.

Thank you again, CMV. We have a TSC in our area. Are the instructions for either on the meds? And I would assume that I would treat the remaining 5 even tho they seem perfectly healthy. Like I said, this sick chick appears to have a hurt foot from my stepping on her but then again, we had those 2 die last week. I see no bloody poo from either her or the 5 still in the coop.

I did a little research on the meds here to treat for this disease and it seems that everything I read says to add to the water. I can do that for the 5 that are still healthy looking but for this little sick girl - she does not eat or drink. Is she hopeless?

Feed her dropperfuls through a syringe. Just put drops on the tip of her beak and she should get some into her. As soon as she gets some ingested and starts to feel better she should start drinking on her own.

I live about 20 miles from the nearest TSC which is the only available source for the meds. When I went this morning they did not have Sulmet and had Corid 20% and it said it was for cattle so wasnt sure it was the right one. I asked for some help and this lady clerk talked like she knew about chickens, said she had a degree in Animal Science andhad worked for years with a lady that raised chickens. She recommended Duramysin 10 mg. On the package it said it was for chickens that had respiratory problems. The clerk said it was an all purpose antibiotic. I got it and will have to just guess at the mixing directions. I sure dont know it this lady was selling a bill of goods or not tho. I hate this inexperience.

Back
Top Bottom