I need some help with this post....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickenfortress, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I'm building a new coop, I thought this one should be round. I want a centerpost that can support a good snow load. I cut the tree for this last winter, and its been drying a year supported off the ground.

I have the hole dug.

I have the post cut.

It's 18' long, and about 10" diameter. It's ash. It weighs at least 600 pounds. I need to drag it 80 yards mostly uphill. Then it needs to be stood up in the hole.

Any volunteers?

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    If you were close by, absolutely. [​IMG] My son and I are working on putting up a shed/coop now as well and it has certainly been a challenge. [​IMG]

Have a pole dragging party and enlist the help of neighbors, family, friends....lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  3. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I wanna be a mongoose.....

4. Chickenfortress

May 8, 2008
    Isn't gir just an absolute freaking riot?

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'll hold the camera!

6. Chickenfortress

May 8, 2008
    I could try to get neighbors involved. But, frankly, they're mostly roly-poly. I'd be afraid they would die in the process. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a stonehenge engineering thing with this. I really want this post up before we get a hard frost. I can imagine the hole will slowly fill with water and freeze up if I wait too long.

7. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Feed them and give them beer and they will come..

Do you have a lawn tractor, or one you can borrow/rent? Drill a hole and put a chain through it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Don't underestimate the rolly polies! Besides, they can put their weight behind it.

Just one rolly poly's point of view. [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A neighbor with a tractor, and the gift of a case of beer, would take care of the job in no time flat [​IMG] Otherwise, is there something sufficiently completely sturdy uphill (like maybe a good sized tree) that you could hook a come-along to, then put the log on rollers and use the come-along to slowly crank it up the hill (or to assist someone pushing)?

Or, save the ash log for another project nearer where it lies, and buy a normal post for your run [​IMG]

Next time, cut the tree *uphill* from the run if you don't own a tractor, LOL (yes, I know it's not always possible).

"Have fun",

Pat

10. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    When we needed our chicken coop moved (we built in our back yard, and then moved it about an acre away) we invited some unsuspecting strong men over for dinner, then afterwards asked, "Do you guys mind giving us a hand....." Sneaky, but it worked!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by