I need some help with this post....

Chickenfortress

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
I'm building a new coop, I thought this one should be round. I want a centerpost that can support a good snow load. I cut the tree for this last winter, and its been drying a year supported off the ground.

I have the hole dug.

I have the post cut.

It's 18' long, and about 10" diameter. It's ash. It weighs at least 600 pounds. I need to drag it 80 yards mostly uphill. Then it needs to be stood up in the hole.

Any volunteers?

If you were close by, absolutely.
wink.png
My son and I are working on putting up a shed/coop now as well and it has certainly been a challenge.
hmm.png

Have a pole dragging party and enlist the help of neighbors, family, friends....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I could try to get neighbors involved. But, frankly, they're mostly roly-poly. I'd be afraid they would die in the process. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a stonehenge engineering thing with this. I really want this post up before we get a hard frost. I can imagine the hole will slowly fill with water and freeze up if I wait too long.

Feed them and give them beer and they will come..

Do you have a lawn tractor, or one you can borrow/rent? Drill a hole and put a chain through it.

Last edited:
A neighbor with a tractor, and the gift of a case of beer, would take care of the job in no time flat
smile.png
Otherwise, is there something sufficiently completely sturdy uphill (like maybe a good sized tree) that you could hook a come-along to, then put the log on rollers and use the come-along to slowly crank it up the hill (or to assist someone pushing)?

Or, save the ash log for another project nearer where it lies, and buy a normal post for your run
wink.png

Next time, cut the tree *uphill* from the run if you don't own a tractor, LOL (yes, I know it's not always possible).

"Have fun",

Pat

When we needed our chicken coop moved (we built in our back yard, and then moved it about an acre away) we invited some unsuspecting strong men over for dinner, then afterwards asked, "Do you guys mind giving us a hand....." Sneaky, but it worked!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom