I need some help

trixie309

Hatching
Jan 21, 2016
I got Rhode Island Red eggs on December 24th and put them in the incubator on December 27th. This is my first time hatching eggs and so far nobody hatched. I've been watching the temperature and humidity, I've had he temperature around 100* and the humidity around 60%. I candled them a few times and there is a dark spot in a few of the eggs and it's getting bigger, but it's still not the size of a fully developed chick. I don't know what I did wrong, one day our power went out for five hours, and that's the only thing that might be a problem. What should I do?

Thanks guys

I got Rhode Island Red eggs on December 24th and put them in the incubator on December 27th. This is my first time hatching eggs and so far nobody hatched. I've been watching the temperature and humidity, I've had he temperature around 100* and the humidity around 60%. I candled them a few times and there is a dark spot in a few of the eggs and it's getting bigger, but it's still not the size of a fully developed chick. I don't know what I did wrong, one day our power went out for five hours, and that's the only thing that might be a problem. What should I do?

Thanks guys
I does not seem hopeful as to anything hatching. It is possible the power outage slowed development, so wait a few more days.Did you go to lockdown where the incubator is kept closed for the last three days?

That is like 5 days past due date. If you try again, keep the humidity down or look into dry hatching, and if it is still air, try 102 temp.
hugs.gif
sorry.

I got Rhode Island Red eggs on December 24th and put them in the incubator on December 27th. This is my first time hatching eggs and so far nobody hatched. I've been watching the temperature and humidity, I've had he temperature around 100* and the humidity around 60%. I candled them a few times and there is a dark spot in a few of the eggs and it's getting bigger, but it's still not the size of a fully developed chick. I don't know what I did wrong, one day our power went out for five hours, and that's the only thing that might be a problem. What should I do?

Thanks guys

Hi :welcome

I would candle again and if you see no movement I would rack this incubation up as experience. As you have said humidity has been at 60% did your air sacs grow large enough? If the egg does not lose enough moisture during incubation the chick can't pip into the sac successfully. Here is a chart for roughly how much your sacs should grow over the incubation period ~

Is your incubator still air or forced air (fan)? Still air temps should be measured at the top of the eggs and be 101-102F, forced air 99.5F anywhere in the incubator as the fan spreads the heat all around the eggs.

How often did you turn your eggs? Did you use an auto turner?
Did you stop turning on day 18?

Have a read of this article ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
It's a bible on incubating and hatching with lots of fab information.
I hope you give incubating another go and have great success :frow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom