I need some information on raising Nigerian Dwarf Goats!

Of course. I still have to make sure my land has no poisionus plants, find the best place, and get a job!
Lol .... no pressure!!!!!😂
Biggest risk is the rhododendron family. They dont recognize that one as well as other toxic plants and will eat it.
Prunus no good - ditch any wild bird cherries you may have around. The wilted leaves can present a problem. I have a bird cherry in with the chickens but i will say the goats ignore any leaves that do fall into the paddock.
Plant some autumn olive, comfrey and bamboo in the meantime. Lotsa good growth for goat snax and pretty plants.
They do tend to be pretty smart about what they eat. But care and awareness is always good 🤙🏻

Biggest risk is the rhododendron family. They dont recognize that one as well as other toxic plants and will eat it.
Prunus no good - ditch any wild bird cherries you may have around. The wilted leaves can present a problem. I have a bird cherry in with the chickens but i will say the goats ignore any leaves that do fall into the paddock.
Plant some autumn olive, comfrey and bamboo in the meantime. Lotsa good growth for goat snax and pretty plants.
They do tend to be pretty smart about what they eat. But care and awareness is always good 🤙🏻
Thanks!

I find, too, that if they accidentally nibble a leaf of something you missed, they are usually ok. The only real problem plants we have are wild cherry and bracken fern.
I clear it when I see it, of course, but I've missed some here and there - esp the bracken fern. I've seen them nibble it (as I'm watching in horror). They just drop it and move on, with no I'll effects. My girls get a widely varied diet, too, which I thi k helps. But I do give probiotics daily.

And, OP, it is smart to be prepared! I had a heck of a time when I got started because I didn't do enough of what you're doing - quality research. Talk to goat owners in your area, too. They will know about plants and mineral levels in your soil and problems with wormer resistence and any prevalent diseases in the area and predators and.... That's been my best resource!

I find, too, that if they accidentally nibble a leaf of something you missed, they are usually ok. The only real problem plants we have are wild cherry and bracken fern.
I clear it when I see it, of course, but I've missed some here and there - esp the bracken fern. I've seen them nibble it (as I'm watching in horror). They just drop it and move on, with no I'll effects. My girls get a widely varied diet, too, which I thi k helps. But I do give probiotics daily.

And, OP, it is smart to be prepared! I had a heck of a time when I got started because I didn't do enough of what you're doing - quality research. Talk to goat owners in your area, too. They will know about plants and mineral levels in your soil and problems with wormer resistence and any prevalent diseases in the area and predators and.... That's been my best resource!
If I get goats, I'll definitely talk to the previous owner and figure out what shelter they have, what brand of feed and mineral they give, type of hay, supplements, and all that good stuff.

Oh! Also want to share that there's a forum for goat owners that's akin to BYC: The Goat Spot. There's one called Backyard Herds, but it's not as active. The Goat Spot is bustling! Lots of helpful folks there.

Be sure to post pics! Very few things are cuter than kids!!!!
I agree. I have an account there, I definitely recommend it for any goat owners or anyone looking into goats. Lots of good goat information over there :)

Back
Top Bottom