I need some information on raising Nigerian Dwarf Goats!

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

I GOT DUCCLES
Jan 17, 2022
I may be getting some NDs but I need to learn about them first. If anyone can give me any information that would be great and I have a few specific questions.
1. Is $150 too much for 1 intact buckling?

2. Do I need 2 goats or can I keep just 1?
3 Do they need hay all year, or just in winter?

4. What all do I feed them?

5. How much space does 1 goat need?

6. What kind of structure is suitable?

7. How much dies castration cost?

8. Is it better to castrate them?

9. Are ND bucks (or wethers) typically aggresive?

10. Should I just wait for a doe?

Quote Reply

I'm not going to be able to get these 2 bucklings. Dad just doesnt have time to build a shelter and put up a fence and I can't. Maybe we can work on it this winter and get a few next year. I think milk would just pile up, so I dont see a need for a milking doe, but may still get a doe and a doe, or a doe and a wether. Very dependent on price.

I can’t answer all. So I’ll cover what I know.

1) 150 sounds fair.

2) Yes, you need at least 2. Goats are very social and need companions. But sex matters. A male and female will be fine until they reach maturity, then you may need to separate them. Two females can be happy with each other.

3) it depends on how productive your land is and your climate. I would always err on the side of caution. Have feed available to them and you can watch how much and how often they are eating it. But they need a reliable source of food all the time.

And 6) Again, this will depend on your climate. I know several people in Alabama that have a three sided roofed shelter made from pallets and the goats love it. But there are also those that made a 5 star goat hotel and the goats sleep under the trees in the woods.

Okay 1. Is $150 too much for 1 intact buckling?
It depends on quality of the buck. But $150 is a pretty good price.
It’s definitely best to have two so they can hang out together :)
If they have good enough grass they will be fine over the summer.
They’ll be fine with hay in the winter and grass in the summer. If they are milking does you should feed them a little bit of grain.
ND’s are small so they don’t need as much space as a normal goat. Ours are in a pretty big field so I don’t really know how much they need 😂
I would just have a little shed or something that has a door so you can shut them in at night depending on the predator around you.
We do ours ourselves, it’s not that hard. You could definitely google/YouTube banding them.
Bucks smell very strong they can also be aggressive sometimes. So unless you really want to breed them I recommend a wether.
Wethers are not at all. They are more like does. Bucks can be but it kinda depends on the buck.
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to maybe breed a doe than I would wait but if you just want a few friendly goats than a wether would be great!

We have a herd of 7 ND’s right now. One buck, two wethers, three does that are due next week and a little doe that was born last year.

I hope this helps a little! 😊

1. Is $150 too much for 1 intact buckling?
Nope, but if you're just going to castrate it for a pet I wouldn't spend that much. If he has great genetics and is registered I would pass and let someone with a breeding program buy him.
Yes, two goats or no goats. Watching them be buddies is much better than having a depressed goat. The more the merrier.
All year. Dry forage is incredibly important to their digestive systems, they should not go without.
Just a medicated ration and a bucket of mineral is what my bucks get. Find a feed that is not for dairy goats, all the extra stuff in there isn't good for male goats.
I'd give them about a 1/4 acre and see how they do. Hopefully they'd eat it all down, the last thing you want is goats eating off of the ground, goats are meant to forage above ground on shrubs and trees, once they look to the ground for food they get worms, and unlike cows or sheep they do not build resistance to worms. Dry lots or STRICT rotation pastures.
Large dog kennels are best, and when it's cold I give them a couple hay filled igloos or large chemical transportation containers with a door cut into it. They need shelter from the rain, but the last thing you want is a tiny closed in space, once they lose ventilation they get pneumonia, keep their shelter well ventilated.
Free if you're gangster enough to band em. Don't just use any band tho, use the real thing to avoid injuring them or giving them an infection.
I've never had a vet castrate, boys don't even know their stuff is falling off because they can't feel it, it's numb.
Meh. I love intact boys. Mine are all big sweethearts, stinky but sweet. But If your buck is unruly or mean take his manhood, he doesn't deserve it.
Not in my experience. My little man could put up a fight and he wouldn't be messed with by the Mini Nubians, but he was an absolute doll and he was everyone's buddy (that was actually his name🤭)
Do you want a hormonal drama queen? Girls go into heat every. single. month. and their crying and whining gets old fast🤣

A few fatal mistakes I wouldn't make:
  1. Weak fencing. Make your fence as tight as possible, no short spots or loose wire
  2. Regular worming. Doing this can make the worms resistant to wormers, and your goat will die.
  3. No mineral. Mineral is a life saver, they need it.
  4. Grassy ground. Do not let them eat off the ground. Ever wonder why petting zoos keep their goats on sand? It's so they don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on wormer.
Edit: I realized I used quite a few absolutes here🤣
Different things work for different people, this advise is based purely off of experience and research.

Last edited:
I find, too, that if they accidentally nibble a leaf of something you missed, they are usually ok. The only real problem plants we have are wild cherry and bracken fern.
I clear it when I see it, of course, but I've missed some here and there - esp the bracken fern. I've seen them nibble it (as I'm watching in horror). They just drop it and move on, with no I'll effects. My girls get a widely varied diet, too, which I thi k helps. But I do give probiotics daily.

And, OP, it is smart to be prepared! I had a heck of a time when I got started because I didn't do enough of what you're doing - quality research. Talk to goat owners in your area, too. They will know about plants and mineral levels in your soil and problems with wormer resistence and any prevalent diseases in the area and predators and.... That's been my best resource!
If I get goats, I'll definitely talk to the previous owner and figure out what shelter they have, what brand of feed and mineral they give, type of hay, supplements, and all that good stuff.

Oh! Also want to share that there's a forum for goat owners that's akin to BYC: The Goat Spot. There's one called Backyard Herds, but it's not as active. The Goat Spot is bustling! Lots of helpful folks there.

Be sure to post pics! Very few things are cuter than kids!!!!
I agree. I have an account there, I definitely recommend it for any goat owners or anyone looking into goats. Lots of good goat information over there :)

Back
Top Bottom