I need some information on the different colors of Silkies

peakpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Marana, Arizona
I am just starting with Silkies and I have about 17 at this time. I have bought from different people so they won't be related.

I have 3 black that have silver or white down their necks? Would this be considered pet quality? Is there just white, black, partridge, splash, blue and lavender and buff? Does the partridge have to be a certain color mixter? Are there any websites that show pictures of the standards for Silkies? I have been on a lot of them but I can never find pictures except for the basic colors.

Any information would help a lot. Thanks.
smile.png

That's kind of what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. I wonder how those colors came out, just all the different colors being breed together I guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
Coloured hackled happen. The bird has insufficient melanizing genes to turn that area of the plumage black or blue (depending on which it is).

The ABA/APA recognised varieties are bearded & nonbearded: white, black, blue, splash, buff, partridge & grey. Lavender will probably be accepted soon; I believe it has been applied for. Ditto with showgirls. Cuckoo, blue partridge, chocolate & porcelain are out there--cuckoo & blue partridge are farthest along. Several of us are working on mottled.

Every variety has a standard to meet. http://browneggblueegg.com/StandardColors.html lists the APA standard--the ABA version is nearly identical.

Where in Arizona are you? I'm in Tempe.

I thought so, my friend just wants some as pets, so I will give those to her. I just love Silkies, but I want to breed them too! I have a buff roo, 8 white chicks that are a few months old, and 3 partridge, 5 black chicks.

I am in Tucson. I have been searching for a breeder in Arizona some where, but have been unable to locate any. I should be going strong with the Silkies in the next few months. Are you a breeder?

Quote:
We were DQ'd at a show in January because of some brown in the hackles, I was a black silkie, and I was told a slight tinge didn't hurt. YUP! It did!

I am not breeding these guys they will go in the pet pen, but apparently it is really really difficult to get a pure black male for the shows (which is why you will see more black females than males at the shows).

I'm starting my silkie flock here in SE Arizona too
smile.png

Yes. There is also a silkie breeder in Tucson, but she can be difficult to get hold of at times. You just missed a small show in Tucson this past weekend, but I believe there is another in May.

Do you know her name. I have talked to a lot of people out here. I am ordering a splash pair from back east, shoud have them within the next couple of weeks. I want a lot more but I just don't know were to find them.

Back
Top Bottom