I need some information on the different colors of Silkies

Quote:
Just be careful when ordering silkies. Make sure the breeders are willing to send new pictures of the silkies you are ordering, if not, then stay away from them. Also, research a sellers reputation before you buy. And if a breeder is openly using another breeders name to sell their birds/eggs, then I would avoid them at all costs. Also remember to quarantine them for at least 30 days after you receive them. I would also worm and dust them with some poultry dust when you get them.

ETA: I got some eggs from FlufNStuff, and hatched out 4 great quality buffs. I would reccommend her.

Last edited:
This message is to hunny. I'm not sure how anyone knows who I am responding too!
big_smile.png
I will get the hang of it soon.

What part of Arizona are you in?

Quote:
If you click the blue "quote" button in the lower right corner of someone's post, it will quote that person so they know you're "talking" to them.
smile.png

Could you post a picture of the black silkie with the silver hackles? I'd be curious to see it.
smile.png

Good luck with them... they're fun to work with and raise.

This lady back east has sent me a lot of pics. She seems great, very honest about her birds. That's a great idea, thanks, I will quarantine them just to be on the safe side.

I also was reading that Silkies can get lice, what should I use to prevent it?

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
If you click the blue "quote" button in the lower right corner of someone's post, it will quote that person so they know you're "talking" to them.
smile.png

Could you post a picture of the black silkie with the silver hackles? I'd be curious to see it.
smile.png

Good luck with them... they're fun to work with and raise.

Oh thank you!!
smile.png
Now everyone will know who i'm talking too! LOL. I will take some pictures when I get home of all of the silkies and post them, I would really like to know what other think.​

Quote:
I use 5% sevin dust. It is the same exact ingredient that is in the poultry dust, just half the price.

ETA: Id love to see pictures of the birds when you get them.
wink.png

I will post them tonight, I really would like some feedback, it would be very helpfull.

Quote:
I use 5% sevin dust. It is the same exact ingredient that is in the poultry dust, just half the price.

ETA: Id love to see pictures of the birds when you get them.
wink.png

I will post them tonight, I really would like some feedback, it would be very helpfull.

So I just put the sevin dust in their areas once a month?

Quote:
We were DQ'd at a show in January because of some brown in the hackles, I was a black silkie, and I was told a slight tinge didn't hurt. YUP! It did!

I am not breeding these guys they will go in the pet pen, but apparently it is really really difficult to get a pure black male for the shows (which is why you will see more black females than males at the shows).

Where in Arizona are you?

I'm starting my silkie flock here in SE Arizona too
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom