I need some Lavender genetics help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by robnms, May 10, 2011.

1. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I had a pair of Lav Orps in a pen with my Coronation Sussex Splits and did a test hatch with three of the eggs and all 3 hatched. I have one pure lavender chick and two that are black with some reddish brown on the head and was wondering why? They also all have dark slate feet like the lav roo. Here's some pics, sorry they're not the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I just know that lavender is recessive...

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    argh, stupid thing keeps messing up.

See previous poster.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I would think that the black ones would be the Light Sussex's chicks. Lavender x Light Sussex = Coronation Sussex looking birds once this offspring is mated.

As far as the pure Lavender, are you sure that you didn't set an egg from the wrong pen, or something?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I had a lavender Ameraucana/coronation sussex hatch. It looks just like the other lav Ameraucanas, I cant even tell which one it is anymore.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:No, Lavender x Light Sussex does not = Coronation Sussex. To have ANY lavender, both parents must have the Lavender gene.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:No, Lavender x Light Sussex does not = Coronation Sussex. To have ANY lavender, both parents must have the Lavender gene.

I mean Lav x LS equals coronation sussex LOOKING birds, not true sussex. This takes a few generations. Is that what you mean?

As far as both parents having to have the Lavender gene, yes, I know.

ETA: Oh, the coronation will be all pullet's. The males will not be coronation-looking like pullets. For that you must cross back to a Light Sussex roo.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The black chicks with the red faces are not unusual. I have hatched a large number of chicks that look similar to yours but mine carry birchen at the E locus. Your chicks are black because the lavender male is actually black and the two lavender genes have diluted his color to the gray or lavender color.

It is my opinion (an hypothesis I am working on) that the red in the face is due to a restrictor. The chicks as adults should be black and may leak white or red- the amount depends on the restrictor or restrictors carried by the bird. The black shanks and feet indicate the birds carry the extended black allele.

Here are a few that I have produced. They are birchen or birchen/wheaten heterozygotes and not extended black like your chick. They also have a restrictor in them that changes the down from black to the dark brown color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a white bellied version.

[​IMG]

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by