1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some plans for a $300 coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poultrylubber, Aug 25, 2013.

1. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone! My dad is going to be buying some coop building materials today so I really need to get a plan figured out as to how we are going to build it. I am going to have to pay for the materials myself so I need something that is around $300. I have some coop designs in mind but some more would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Perhaps google the witchita coop. It's a design that may fit your needs. We based ours on it but did our own thing. Look around for wood or what ever to recycle. We didn't do that and spent about $700. That's for the wood, wire nails screws. Wood was most expensive. We bought everything. That was my hubby's choice. He wanted new wood. There's lots of recycling ideas on this forum. Our structure is 4x8x6. He chose that size for the standard wood sizes for sale, and that it would fit nicely on a section of an existing concrete slab in our yard. Not included in the $700 was the things I bought. Watere feeder, went through a couple of those till I got things working the way I wanted. Now that things are all set up feed treats are inexpensive to keep up with. Also bedding material. Good luck on you plans

3. poultrylubber

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Here are some free coop plans. Not sure of the cost to build, but perhaps you can find one that will fit your $300 building budget.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's a good idea to find some plans, shop for cost of the materials...and THEN buy the materials :) just sayin' Good Luck!

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You can use free pallets to build a coop. You will also need a hammer, a saw, hardware cloth or chicken wire (depending on where it will be located) and nails.

You can search for pallet coop to see plans.

7. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Also check of craigslist for free pallets and lumber

8. poultrylubber

yeah I know that but my dad...... not so much :) As it turns out we won't be getting materials today, but my dad did sit down with me and we got a basic plan figured out.

9. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    You didn't specify size. But if you're looking for something in the 4'x4' neighborhood...

Both of these can be built for 300 or less:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/small-coop-tutorial

And

www.backyardchickens.com/a/funky-chicken-coop

If you want to save money you can delete the cedar all together and simply use pine for the trim and asphalt shingles.

Also if you don't mind taking the time to do it, and have a tablesaw cedar fence boards ripped in half are a pretty good value for trim.

1 person likes this.
  10. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    You can get the books Redesigning the Chicken Coop and Art of the Chicken Coop, both from your library, and they are full of easy plans to build smallish coops. May not be cheap -- and TBH, my $300 coops are really not great and are too small -- but it would be better to have a plan first than to buy first. Guess how I know that, lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by