I need some ventilation tips i have pics

Kelso roosters

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013

My chicken coop is 6 ft long, 4 ft wide, and 4 ft tall. The vent on the side is the only vent I have for it. Any tips for good ventilation, my chicken got frost bite.

ok so if you look at the side of my coop where the vent is theres a extention cord above that's a bord if I remove that on each side theres a crack about 3 1/2in from the front to back of the coop its high up and I think it would make a good vent what do you think should I do that? and should I cover up the vent on the side of the coop after I take them bords off the sides?

Like Egcessive said, having the roosts below the ventilation would be a good idea. It seems as though the airflow is likely to be passing right over the chickens, and this is leading to frostbite. If you are able, one option would be to cut a circular hole just beneath the peak of the roof and above the door, then cap the hole with a soffit vent like those below.

That hole, plus the one you use for the extension cord, might provide enough ventilation. If you have any gaps elsewhere in the coop, you might want to cover them up.

I would also cover the vent that you have in place already, just during the winter.

the hole for the extention cord isn't that big but what do you think about the crack by behind the board it would make good vent all of the air can leave the coop from there what do you think? I think the little vents are a good idea if that don't work I will put the small vents on. I can also cover the vent I have now once I open up the one behind the board to see if it works. its 3 1/2in crack from the front to the back of the coop on both sides and on top of that I will put chicken wire so pests cant get in the cracks

the hole for the extention cord isn't that big but what do you think about the crack by behind the board it would make good vent all of the air can leave the coop from there what do you think? I think the little vents are a good idea if that don't work I will put the small vents on. I can also cover the vent I have now once I open up the one behind the board to see if it works. its 3 1/2in crack from the front to the back of the coop on both sides and on top of that I will put chicken wire so pests cant get in the cracks

Your roost bar looks pretty high up. The removed board may make for a good vent or vented up at the gable would be even better. If you remove the board then lowering the roost bar may keep any drafty air off of the birds.

The particle board or chip board that you have on the exterior of your coop will need a coat of paint. Exposed like that it will expand and contract with the weather and show signs of rot and eventually fall apart. I would probably close that side vent in the Winter and opt for upper vents. During warm weather, several openings will be needed to keep it cool in there. Ideally you should have an attached secure run to the coop with a pop door so that the birds have outside access. The pop door would aid with getting fresh air in the coop as well. Hope this helps!

so I think im just going to lower my roost and open up them boards.i will also cover up the vent on the side of my coop.do you think it will be ok then?when the weather clears up I think I am going to build them a big chicken run. I usually let them run in the yard I don't like having them in the coop only in the winter time.

I lowered the roost so it's not so high.

The crack is 3 1/2 in. from front to back of the coop

This is where I took the board off of and kept the one to the right to prevent draft

I covered it with plexiglass.

Do you think this would help ventilate it better?

Back
Top Bottom