I need suggestions on a new rooster!!

Where can I find a good chicken breeder? I live in De and I can't think of one place to even try looking. I was thinking of ordering from McMurray but the problem is that I only want one...I already have 7 girls and due to space issues, I can only fit one more standard comfortably in with them.
I would love to hatch eggs, but then I again would have the problem of too many and I get attached too easy...they would never leave!!
Oh Man...
idunno.gif

Did you ever think of getting an adult roo? Sometimes rescues have them. If you go to petfinder.com they have roos for adoption and the rescue has posted or could tell you what their temperment is. From that site do an advanced search and choose "list of breed types" and pick bird then chicken. Not sure if there's any in your area but it wouldn't hurt to look. You can also check the classifieds on that site too or even call your local ASPCA.

I think you should get a bantam rooster. The standard can be more intimidating to yourself and your girls. I have an EE bantam rooster and a few silkie roosters. They are not so big that they try to push me around. All are good boys and dont hurt the girls mating them. He is getting the job done because i do have fertile eggs
jumpy.gif
The roosters i have are kinder to the girls. When i bring the chickens treats, they watch over them as they eat. The BIG ROO i had and sent back to the farm was a big jerk to them. He would push them aside so he could eat first. If a threat to the flock (me on the mower) came close to his girls......He would plow through them all to make sure he got to safety first
th.gif
Not so with my little guys.......you can tell that they would put their lives on the line for them. If they think there is danger (me with a shovel lately) they step right up between them and danger. I'm proud of my boys. And remember......if you want to take a (long)sunday drive to MA....You can have any one of my silkie roos you choose
wink.png
Silkie roo's are no longer available.

Last edited:
Look on craig's list and I'm sure you could find a roo that someone doesn't want, free even. Here in the city, I'm always seeing listings of loved roos that can't stay with the family because of noise laws but they want a good home for it.

I am bouncing back and forth on an adult or chick, standard or banty. I am affraid that if I got another banty, I would just be feeding my kestral here. But the size of a standard worries me because of the roughness to the girls.
Personality has to be #1. He has to be swwet and friendly with people. So I have been checking craigs list and petfinder..nothing in my are so far, but I am still looking.
I am trying to find someone to split an order with me, but no one wants the breeds that I would prefer to get. And no one wants more than 2 or 3. I only want 1!!!

Give me a address SANTA could arrange a side trip to Dover, I will be in Hartly on Christmas anyway. I mean Santa will be in the neighbourhood anyway
lau.gif
xmas-smiley-003.gif
lau.gif

Can you send me pictures of everything you have available....I still am not sure on what I am getting yet, but would love to know my options!!!

Thats not such a bad idea!
yuckyuck.gif

The only rhode island red roo I've been around was the meanest chicken I've ever met. When I would gather eggs for my uncle, I would come out with bruises all over my legs from him attacking me. I've been around a couple of faverolles that were really nice and I've heard that barred rock roos are really nice as well. For looks and calmness faverolles are great.

Back
Top Bottom