I Need SUMATRA HELP!

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
Ok I am thinking of buying a full grown Black Sumatra Rooster and I need info. I have read that they are terrible egg producers (which is fine and irrelevant because he is a boy
he.gif
) and that they do not like confinement (He will live in a 15'x8' dog run with 2 chicken houses and from time to time roam the entire yard). What are they like? I am asking Sumatra owners, I think that they are very beautiful and I have been drawn to them from the beginning and would love to add one to my flock. PLEASE INFO, I NEED INFO NOW! The seller will not be able to hold him long.

here is a pic of the most handsome boy ever (in my opinion)!
Thanks, Adam

100_1191.jpg

If you have other roosters he is likely to be VERY aggressive. Tipically a Sumatra is not what one would ever call a pet chicken. Highly independent. Can inflict damage very quickly and without second thought if threatened or just jockeying for flock position.

I agree they are beautiful. There are exceptions to the norm for behavior but they are rare.

Growing I up a had a couple Sumatra Hens I got from MM. They had great personalities, very curious and tame. Also were great mothers. The only experience I had with the roosters were crosses with my Barred Rock & Cochin Roosters.

The male Sumatra crosses were definetley top of the pecking order but I would not say they were overly aggressive.

I would just observe the roo for a while, feed him some treats and if he isn't flighty or aggresive to you I would give him a try.

He will be my only Roo. none of my hens are old enough to go in the pen (about another week) and I can keep him separate until the hens are full grown. What do you all think of keeping him separate completely having his own house and run. I do not want fertile eggs. I guess the problem is that he is out of state so I can not meet him, he is a show bird (I doubt I would ever show him). The seller says he is sweet and not mean to the hens, she has never seen him attack one and that once she catches him he is easy to handle and will let you hold him with out struggling. She also says that his crow is soft, softer than her banty roos, is that possible? anyway feedback please.

Adam

1st. Sumatras are NOT game (fighting) chickens. They will fight (as all roosters will) but should not be considered "gamefowl".

The ones I had were very strong, meaty birds that acted a lot like pheasants, flying at will and great foragers.

I'm betting you will like him

termite

Back
Top Bottom