1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Need SUMATRA HELP!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by herechickchick, May 15, 2007.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Ok I am thinking of buying a full grown Black Sumatra Rooster and I need info. I have read that they are terrible egg producers (which is fine and irrelevant because he is a boy [​IMG] ) and that they do not like confinement (He will live in a 15'x8' dog run with 2 chicken houses and from time to time roam the entire yard). What are they like? I am asking Sumatra owners, I think that they are very beautiful and I have been drawn to them from the beginning and would love to add one to my flock. PLEASE INFO, I NEED INFO NOW! The seller will not be able to hold him long.

here is a pic of the most handsome boy ever (in my opinion)!
    Thanks, Adam

[​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you have other roosters he is likely to be VERY aggressive. Tipically a Sumatra is not what one would ever call a pet chicken. Highly independent. Can inflict damage very quickly and without second thought if threatened or just jockeying for flock position.

I agree they are beautiful. There are exceptions to the norm for behavior but they are rare.

3. LaMamaGallina

LaMamaGallina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    everywhere

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. keeperofthechickens

keeperofthechickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Twin Cities, MN
    Growing I up a had a couple Sumatra Hens I got from MM. They had great personalities, very curious and tame. Also were great mothers. The only experience I had with the roosters were crosses with my Barred Rock & Cochin Roosters.

The male Sumatra crosses were definetley top of the pecking order but I would not say they were overly aggressive.

I would just observe the roo for a while, feed him some treats and if he isn't flighty or aggresive to you I would give him a try.

5. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    He will be my only Roo. none of my hens are old enough to go in the pen (about another week) and I can keep him separate until the hens are full grown. What do you all think of keeping him separate completely having his own house and run. I do not want fertile eggs. I guess the problem is that he is out of state so I can not meet him, he is a show bird (I doubt I would ever show him). The seller says he is sweet and not mean to the hens, she has never seen him attack one and that once she catches him he is easy to handle and will let you hold him with out struggling. She also says that his crow is soft, softer than her banty roos, is that possible? anyway feedback please.

Adam

6. keeperofthechickens

keeperofthechickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Twin Cities, MN
    Sounds like he is a great bird. I would get him.

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    If all that is said is true, then AREN'T YOU THERE YET PICKING HIM UP????? Best of luck to you.

8. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    OK YOU ARE RIGHT I AM GETTING HIM!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Termite

Termite Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    1st. Sumatras are NOT game (fighting) chickens. They will fight (as all roosters will) but should not be considered "gamefowl".

The ones I had were very strong, meaty birds that acted a lot like pheasants, flying at will and great foragers.

I'm betting you will like him

termite

10. dragon

dragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    what happened??? "is he home"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by