I need the best tasting easy quail recipe.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Torghn, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Torghn

Torghn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    So my first batch coturnix just started laying and I have way to many males. It's time to thin them out. I have no problem cleaning and cooking them my self, my only problem is I'm not a very good cook so I need something easy that tastes good. My wife so far is unimpressed with the birds and I'm really hoping to change her mind with a good meal. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    PROCESSED QUAIL + BBG SAUCE + CROCKPOT= DONT GET ANY EASIER THAN THAT [​IMG]

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Most (well maybe "lots of") people are not impressed with gamebirds, and it has a lot to do with the way they're cooked. Here's how I do my Bobs:

-Season birds all over with Salt, Pepper, and Poultry Seasoning-
    -Roll in flour until fully covered.
    -Cook on stove top in frying pan with enough oil to fry them golden brown all over.
    -Remove and drain birds on paper towels.
    -After birds have set for a few minutes, put them in a "CorningWare" type dish with a lid, and add enough water to the dish to completly cover the bottom good (at least 1/8" deep).
    -Let them steam in over on 250ยบ for 1-1/2 hours.
    -Meantime, pour off most of the oil the birds were fried in, and save enough to make "thin" brown (flour) gravy.
    -Take the birds out of the oven, and drown them with all that gravy.
    -Dig in..... [​IMG]

By steaming the birds, it will tenderize them to where the meat almost falls off the bone.

(NOTE: This is no good without homemade biscuits). [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    warm up the grill wrap the birds with bacon grill'em , a icy beverage helps pass the time while they are cooking LOL

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Soak them in old bay and olive oil for a few hours. Fry them whole, put them in the oven until done and tender. Next smother them in gravy and throw in some mashed taters. Nuff said...

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Split them in half. Salt,pepper,flower, then pan fry until golden brown.

If they don't taste good to you that way....there is no amount of herbs and spices that will make them taste any better [​IMG]

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Rest a couple days in the fridge, and take them out, rinse, pat dry, stuff each one with a piece of apple, and maybe some stovetop stuffing, a tiny slice of garlic or onion, wrap it with a slice of bacon and bake them until the leg pulls away easily. Yum!

8. Torghn

Torghn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. At what age do you usually harvest them? They are about 6 weeks old now, will they continue to grow for a few more weeks or are they about done?

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    They will gain fast till about 10-12 weeks, then slow down or stop. I'v butchered corts @ 6 weeks but I was ready to thin the flock. Better to eat them than build a new cage... [​IMG] They were good, three were enough with fix'ins. I think 8 to 10 weeks is a good place to start try'in. Cut a few at 6, 8, and 10 see which you like best. I'd be be curious to do a side-by-side like that my self.... The birds below are 6 weeks old... Bill

[​IMG]

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I process at 8-10 weeks, they are definitely done by 12 weeks. Just process whenever you are happy with the weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by