I need the best tasting easy quail recipe.

Torghn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
So my first batch coturnix just started laying and I have way to many males. It's time to thin them out. I have no problem cleaning and cooking them my self, my only problem is I'm not a very good cook so I need something easy that tastes good. My wife so far is unimpressed with the birds and I'm really hoping to change her mind with a good meal. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
PROCESSED QUAIL + BBG SAUCE + CROCKPOT= DONT GET ANY EASIER THAN THAT
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Most (well maybe "lots of") people are not impressed with gamebirds, and it has a lot to do with the way they're cooked. Here's how I do my Bobs:

-Season birds all over with Salt, Pepper, and Poultry Seasoning-
-Roll in flour until fully covered.
-Cook on stove top in frying pan with enough oil to fry them golden brown all over.
-Remove and drain birds on paper towels.
-After birds have set for a few minutes, put them in a "CorningWare" type dish with a lid, and add enough water to the dish to completly cover the bottom good (at least 1/8" deep).
-Let them steam in over on 250º for 1-1/2 hours.
-Meantime, pour off most of the oil the birds were fried in, and save enough to make "thin" brown (flour) gravy.
-Take the birds out of the oven, and drown them with all that gravy.
-Dig in.....
droolin.gif

By steaming the birds, it will tenderize them to where the meat almost falls off the bone.

(NOTE: This is no good without homemade biscuits).
smile.png

Last edited:
Soak them in old bay and olive oil for a few hours. Fry them whole, put them in the oven until done and tender. Next smother them in gravy and throw in some mashed taters. Nuff said...

Split them in half. Salt,pepper,flower, then pan fry until golden brown.

If they don't taste good to you that way....there is no amount of herbs and spices that will make them taste any better
smile.png

Rest a couple days in the fridge, and take them out, rinse, pat dry, stuff each one with a piece of apple, and maybe some stovetop stuffing, a tiny slice of garlic or onion, wrap it with a slice of bacon and bake them until the leg pulls away easily. Yum!

Thanks for all the replies. At what age do you usually harvest them? They are about 6 weeks old now, will they continue to grow for a few more weeks or are they about done?

They will gain fast till about 10-12 weeks, then slow down or stop. I'v butchered corts @ 6 weeks but I was ready to thin the flock. Better to eat them than build a new cage...
big_smile.png
They were good, three were enough with fix'ins. I think 8 to 10 weeks is a good place to start try'in. Cut a few at 6, 8, and 10 see which you like best. I'd be be curious to do a side-by-side like that my self.... The birds below are 6 weeks old... Bill

73612_fried_cort_dinner.jpg

Back
Top Bottom