i need to build an enclosed run, probably by myself..... all advice needed :-)

danaalex

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
Hi!
i need to change my run into an enclosed run, and i will probably end up having to do it alone.......

do i need to start from the beginning? or can i just modify using the current posts, etc?

all advice is appreciated! thank you!!!

enclosed as in a top?

do i need an enclosed in CT?

Do you have hawks, owls etc that might fly in from above to score a chicken dinner? Do you have raccoons and possums that might scale the walls and drop down into the run and have a feast? Do you have chickens that could possibly fly out of the run?

Whether or not to put a top on a chicken run depends on your goals, your threats, how expensive your chickens are, how easy it will be to replace chickens if you lose them, etc.

The most important thing about building a run is to make it as preditor proof as possible. That means using strong wire, preferably hardware cloth, and a secure covering. A lot of people make the runs and use chicken wire which does nothing to protect chickens and a failure to cover the run is really an invitation to dinner.

Cover it.

A friend built his and was looking for a way to cover the top and it be secure. He heard someone on the radio wanting to get rid of some chain link. He bought it really cheap and the posts on the run were cedar trees stripped of branches and bark and so were really strong. Hardware cloth already attached for the walls.....he used the chain link to make the top!! He ran 2x4's across the top first to have something to attach it to. Talk about a strong, secure top for his runs!

My DH would not go for it.....I barely got tops on mine and had to do them when he was out of town!! But it does have a top on it! Was not quite as secure as I thought it was and after last spring and the raccoon runs I believe I now have it secure enough to keep things out! But if I could it would be chain link!!!

enclosed as in mine needs a top. i've had fed many predators recently and it's got to stop.

chain link is not a bad idea! i was leaning towards a hard surface material to help keep rain and snow and sun out too.

i don't think i'll have a hard time making the walls taller, but its the roof part that has me freaking out a little bit. i am a short woman and honestly i have NO CLUE how to build ANYTHING! LOL

I started with Chicken wire on the top of mine zip stripped into place. When I expanded the run, I was out, and broke, so I used left over feild fencing that we had laying around. Also zip stripped into place. No loss of chickens, and we have 2 mating pairs of hawks on the property, coyotes, coons, and other predators.

I started with Chicken wire on the top of mine zip stripped into place. When I expanded the run, I was out, and broke, so I used left over feild fencing that we had laying around. Also zip stripped into place. No loss of chickens, and we have 2 mating pairs of hawks on the property, coyotes, coons, and other predators.

Yes, with nothing but zip ties (zip stripped), a pair of wire cutter can and some fencing you can built very secure enclosures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632678/trying-to-convince-friend-to-get-chickens-easy-coop-ideas

Back
Top Bottom