I need to catch some chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I know some people who have some bantams that said I can have them ALL if I catch them!

2. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Good luck. They are hard to catch. We have a few that get out of their pen and we have a time catching them to put them back in. We get the against the fence and use a net with a long handle. My son and I both have one. We are usually able to catch them. If the chickens do not have a pen and are running around freely, it will be much harder. You could catch them at night when they roost, if they don't fly way up a tree. Good luck.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Wow! Great! Howya gunna do that? I assume they are wild and sleep in trees, I hope they're not real tall trees. [​IMG]

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Oh good luck [​IMG]

I have 8 that I've raised from day olds and have been spoiling every day since. I feed them daily and interact with them daily and now as 12 week olds I've been able to catch TWO of them while they were sound asleep. They are wild little suckers!!!!

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL Good luck... chasing chickens is hard work!

Maybe you can use wild traps and something yummy to lure them in [​IMG] Or set up some kind or large covered fencing and try to trap them in it [​IMG]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I would suggest catching them when they've gone to roost at night - if it's not too high.

I use a long-handled net to catch escapees. I stole my husband's fishing net and store it in the barn.

7. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    huh? wild chickens? im confused.. we dont have wild chickens up here

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

A long wire with a hook on the end shaped something like a capital "R". Go at night, let your eyes adjust, hook there legs an pull them down from the tree. If you use a light of any kind you lose the advantage.

9. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I always use sunflower seeds or grapes to get them to come to me. Beats chasing them.

[​IMG]

10. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    make sure you bring a net, and be prepared to run. Don't be scared to get dirty. You will have a good work out though.
    Good luck catching them.
    If you do catch them , you have earned them for sure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by