I need to feed my chicken sunflower seeds, can they eat them with the shell

and I'm just lurking.

North Florida Panhandle, middle of nowhere, almost at the AL border.

Hello my Florida fellows. Yes, its been damned hot around here. I've had to get up earlier so my birds have more time to free range breakfast. By 8:30 AM, they are already (by choice) back in the run, hiding from the day's heat under the raised coop, the tarps, or the 275 gal water tank. Except the few out pecking in the woods.

They will make another long excursion around dinner time, then put themselves back to the run around 8pm so I can close the door.

Good luck with your bird, hope it works out.

I'm in southern Mississippi. Our seasons are: springish, summer, not-so-summer, less summer

I know your pain. It's that bad here, too. I'll be standing in the shade and feel the sweat roll down my sides after a minute or two; no exertion required.

I had to change out the litter in their coop because they were inside more with all the rain this past week. Even with no rain water getting inside, everything was molding. Even the roof.

I'll add some of my "Poultry Cell" to their water in the morning. Thanks!
Yup we have 2 seasons beastly hot & hot!

and I'm just lurking.

North Florida Panhandle, middle of nowhere, almost at the AL border.

Hello my Florida fellows. Yes, its been damned hot around here. I've had to get up earlier so my birds have more time to free range breakfast. By 8:30 AM, they are already (by choice) back in the run, hiding from the day's heat under the raised coop, the tarps, or the 275 gal water tank. Except the few out pecking in the woods.

They will make another long excursion around dinner time, then put themselves back to the run around 8pm so I can close the door.

Good luck with your bird, hope it works out.
You can lurk, fellow Floridian!! You're nice - I don't wake up till 11-11:30am :oops: so my 3 hens don't get out till then. Sure they cuss me daily! Oh & I've always called your area of FL The Redneck Riviera it's fabulous shhh let's keep it a secret🤫

I highly suggest getting a giant storage tub, going to your local tractor supply and getting 4 different feeds (a crumble layer feed , a finisher feed, a scratch grain and a feather fixer), a big bag of meal worms, a bag of duck treats, a bag of grit. Dump all the bags together in a storage container. I spent about $120 all together, but it lasts MONTHS. Most feeds you find are for ducks and chickens. So that’s not really something you have to worry about. Also, a nutridrench works wonders. I have 9 birds. 3 ducks, a turkey, and 5 chickens. They all have the same diet. I have 3 big metal feeding bowls. I change up what they eat, but I will mix oats, their feed mix, frozen corn(I live in Tennessee and it’s blazing balls this way, I buy a giant 10lb bag from Walmart) and blueberrys or strawberries for breakfast. They free range all day, and then I do the same for dinner before they head back to their coop but I switch the oats out with white rice and strawberries or blueberries out for diced tomatoes or cucumbers. They love it. My ducks also get 15 dozen minnows a couple times a week that I buy from my local bait shop. My biggest suggestion for them eating more with it being so hot is the frozen veggies. I do peas sometimes, but they seem to like the corn more!

I highly suggest getting a giant storage tub, going to your local tractor supply and getting 4 different feeds (a crumble layer feed , a finisher feed, a scratch grain and a feather fixer), a big bag of meal worms, a bag of duck treats, a bag of grit. Dump all the bags together in a storage container. I spent about $120 all together, but it lasts MONTHS. Most feeds you find are for ducks and chickens. So that’s not really something you have to worry about. Also, a nutridrench works wonders. I have 9 birds. 3 ducks, a turkey, and 5 chickens. They all have the same diet. I have 3 big metal feeding bowls. I change up what they eat, but I will mix oats, their feed mix, frozen corn(I live in Tennessee and it’s blazing balls this way, I buy a giant 10lb bag from Walmart) and blueberrys or strawberries for breakfast. They free range all day, and then I do the same for dinner before they head back to their coop but I switch the oats out with white rice and strawberries or blueberries out for diced tomatoes or cucumbers. They love it. My ducks also get 15 dozen minnows a couple times a week that I buy from my local bait shop. My biggest suggestion for them eating more with it being so hot is the frozen veggies. I do peas sometimes, but they seem to like the corn more!
Also, I suggested the finisher feed due to your babies being around the age of finishing up their growth and reaching sexual maturity.

Back
Top Bottom