I need to feed my chicken sunflower seeds, can they eat them with the shell

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I bought two ducks and had to switch to flock raiser by Purina.
Evidently the Purina is not that great because I have a 4 month old chicken with the beginnings of wry neck.
So I read to feed foods with Vit E and that seems the easiest...but I wasn't sure they could crack the seeds?

IMO for wry neck best to supplement via liquid vitamins, it's a lot more direct. For selenium, a little tuna or egg yolk is enough to help with vitamin absorption.

As far as sunflower seeds, in the shell is fine. The grit in their gizzard will break it down.
I was going to give her some Nutri-drench also. I fed scrambled eggs today. She's on Purina Flock Raiser too so surprised she has wry neck. Interestingly she only stargazes when she first gets on the roost. However she gallops when she runs, so that could be related.

Interesting as I've been feeding Flock Raiser for a while now. Fingers crossed! As for seeds/nuts going rancid storing in the freezer or refrigerator keeps them fresher. I live in the South & store all nuts & seeds that way.
I would go back to my layer food if it weren't for the ducks. I store my meal worms in the freezer but wasn't sure about seeds...thanks, good to know.

I bought two ducks and had to switch to flock raiser by Purina.
Evidently the Purina is not that great because I have a 4 month old chicken with the beginnings of wry neck.
So I read to feed foods with Vit E and that seems the easiest...but I wasn't sure they could crack the seeds?
If I am answering your question in your headline, Yes, chickens can eat sunflower seeds. Particularly Black oil sunflower seeds. The are high in protein and the hulls are thinner. Wry neck is a neurological symptom that can be hereditary, or caused by a head or neck injury vitamin E deficiency, if the feed is old or in infectious diseases.
Just some additional info: Sometimes, wry neck and leg issues are associated with Mareks disease that does not show up until a chicken is a few months old.
You can make her a scrambled egg right now with some of her chick/starter feed in it, egg has the Selenium in it.
Also offer her Nutri-Drench, Hydro-Hen or Sav-A-Chick to give her a boost tonight. I know about giving her Vit E but, I do not know the dosing.

Hopefully an expert will pipe in about more treatments and to dose the Vit E.
I know Vit E is based on weight. So, get your kitchen scale out on a counter, turn off the lights. have her stand on it and get her weight. This is a trick I learned here on BYC. Well, everything I learn is from the experts on here.
Hope this helps you tonight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom