I NEED to keep my rooster quiet

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I’m in the suburbs with a serama male I had to separate from the flock. I had him alone until I put a female in there with him so that he’d be quiet. But he still crows ALL day and ALL night. I’m going to get in trouble if I don’t figure something out asap.

Any ideas?

If you can't have him, rehoming him would be an option. Not sure you are going to be able to keep him quiet. He is a rooster, he will crow. Some more than others, just like hens and their egg songs.
Yeah I know, but the place I used to give my surplus to can’t have any more. I’d rehome him if I could. I’m hoping to at an upcoming show on the 22nd, so I was hoping to satiate whatever need he’s crying out for till then.

He might not be "crying" out for anything, but maybe just talking. You could try moving him to an area where he can't see any of the hens and remove the one that you put with him. That might help, as he might be crowing for her, to mark his territory, mating, protection, etc. But honestly, beyond rehoming or culling, I don't have any suggestions that will make him stop crowing.

Roosters crow. It's what they do.

If it's not legal to keep roosters where you are then you need to put a plan in place before you do any hatching.

Have you tried Craigslist?
I’m aware. It’s not illegal, just a disturbance. I had a reliable place I’ve given two males from the same hatch to at the time. Now I don’t. He’s up on Craigslist but there’s an over abundance of roosters where I’m at, so no dice.

I’m in the suburbs with a serama male I had to separate from the flock. I had him alone until I put a female in there with him so that he’d be quiet. But he still crows ALL day and ALL night. I’m going to get in trouble if I don’t figure something out asap.
I’d rehome him if I could. I’m hoping to at an upcoming show on the 22nd, so I was hoping to satiate whatever need he’s crying out for till then.

So it sounds like you just need to keep him from bothering people too badly for a few weeks.

Maybe put him in a cage or pen inside your own house? It might reduce how much of the sound reaches your neighbors.

At night, roosters often crow in response to hearing sounds (including other roosters), or seeing lights (like car headlights or flashlights). So if you can arrange that his sleeping area is dark and quiet, it might reduce how often he crows at night. (Or maybe not. Chickens are individuals, and some do things differently than others.)

I’m aware. It’s not illegal, just a disturbance. I had a reliable place I’ve given two males from the same hatch to at the time. Now I don’t. He’s up on Craigslist but there’s an over abundance of roosters where I’m at, so no dice.
This is hard....are there any 4-H groups that you could check with or your local extension office. I know ours will put an announcement in their newsletter then kids can use them for projects. Or if you have a local school farm, maybe?

This is hard....are there any 4-H groups that you could check with or your local extension office.
Oh wow that’s a great idea, I’ll call a few offices tomorrow to see what I can do. Hopefully they’ll be willing to take any future hatches as well but that’s too good to be true lol.
I know ours will put an announcement in their newsletter then kids can use them for projects. Or if you have a local school farm, maybe?
Your area sounds great, I’d love to have a local school farm. I’m in Miami, Florida. I’ll see if 4H is willing. It’s tough having chickens in the city :(

Back
Top Bottom