I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

Pics
My rooster Angry Johnny is so mean I can no longer go outside to be with my birds or garden with out him running up on me and attacking or just straight up looking at me, ruffling his feathers and then charging me.
I just can't bring myself to actually physically hurt him. I feel bad wen I have to hit him with my be good stick. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
Don't kill him! Pick him up, gently holding him while talking pleasantly and walk around with him near the other chickens. It will let him know that you are not going to hurt him, gaining his trust while reminding him you are the boss and intimidating him in front of the others. Do it several days in a row. I rescued wild roosters, used this method and always end up with them being buddies. Good luck.

If you don’t want to kill your bird then can you put him in a pen where he can’t get out and can’t charge at you... kind of like a rooster jail,.. ?? But at least you would save his life and get to keep him...

I’m saying this because he is a living being and doesn’t necessarily need to be killed because he is aggressive... if life was that easy then how many men (and women) would be sentenced to death for domestic violence and anger management issues?? They get locked up instead do they not so why can’t you do that with the roo??

Quality of life matters as well.
He would have a quality of life running in a pen could make the pen as big as possible give him a hen or 2 to satisfy his needs... I’m just sick of people saying “aggressive roosters need to be killed” no they don’t... would you put a child down because it has aggressive behaviour due to health issues no you wouldn’t do why put a rooster down what because it’s not human because it can’t talk it can’t “fight back” it has no say what you do it.. it can’t tell you why it’s aggressive... I’m sorry but killing something because it shows “unwanted behaviour” is not a justifiable reason.

If you're in town you probably can't do this, but I had to put down a few mean roosters and I just catch them and calm them down so they aren't moving and shoot them in the head with a .22 pistol. They won't feel a thing, destroying the brain is the most humane IMHO.

If you're in town you will probably have to advertise on Facebook and maybe Craigslist "free mean rooster".

I'm sorry you gave to go through this, the first time is always the hardest, I'll flat out admit I cried.
With the lack of availability as well as the ridiculous rise in price for ammo... why in the world would you waste any ammunition on a chicken?

Last edited:
I know your pain at putting an animal down. I think the Craigs list is your best bet, plus perhaps some family who has lost income during this hard time, will need a meal for their family. It will be easier for someone who does not know your Ro's name or has a family history with....

He would have a quality of life running in a pen could make the pen as big as possible give him a hen or 2 to satisfy his needs... I’m just sick of people saying “aggressive roosters need to be killed” no they don’t... would you put a child down because it has aggressive behaviour due to health issues no you wouldn’t do why put a rooster down what because it’s not human because it can’t talk it can’t “fight back” it has no say what you do it.. it can’t tell you why it’s aggressive... I’m sorry but killing something because it shows “unwanted behaviour” is not a justifiable reason.
Aggression is not always because of a health issue. If that were the case, it would be far easier to never deal with an aggressive rooster by keeping only healthy birds.

You need to be able to get in there to clean and maintain. You need to be able to handle the birds for their well being. The bird is an animal that deserves a decent life not to be put into a small cage and everyone can't just build a new coop and run for a bird they need to avoid for their safety. The owner also deserves to not live in fear or not have to worry about a child being attacked.

Also, it's everyone's personal decision in what they do with their flock. Putting your life and/or a child's life in harms way knowingly is neglectful.

Let me add that I am the very last one to kill or even suggest killing. I do believe in everyone doing the best they can to live the best life for them. It's unkind to make this poster or any others feel guilty for killing an animal that needs to be killed, as long as the animal isn't suffering or made to suffer and no laws are broken.

I respect your decision to keep aggressive animals and if you're able to deal with them, that's wonderful. I am in awe of your patience, honestly. I don't want to make you feel bad for doing what's best for you.

Back
Top Bottom