I NEED to know if this is normal or do I have a hen when I thought roo

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Ok last night right before sundown I went to put the chickens to bed and was looking for my two roosters. One is a tiny Serama the other a Giant cochin. Well I have this HUGE rock in my yard and the chickens all love to sit behind it. I walked over there and seen the Serama ON TOP of the Giant cochin mating him. LOL The Giant cochin has his head way down in the corner of the rock like he was scared
sad.png
Do roos try to mate other roos or could the cochin I thought was a roo actually be a hen? He makes hen noises and has never crowed yet. He is 17 weeks old now. He sure does look like a roo! I'm going to go get a picture of him and the other Giant cochin I KNOW is a hen for sure. I will post them here in a bit.

I think they will mate with anything given the chance. It's probably a dominance thing. I used to have a rooster that would do it to a cat. The weird thing is that the cat was a male and let him do it!

Here is the suspected roo. Does everyone agree he IS a roo? The hen is the bottom picture. I'm right, right?
ETA...they are 17 weeks old

17weekoldcochinroo.jpg

Below is the hen that hatched with him.

17weekoldcochinpullet.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have cochins so I am just going by what I see on my birds (feather-wise), but I would say it's a hen. I'm sure someone with cochins will be able to say with more certainty though.

OH my goodness...now that would be something
lau.gif
I guess I will find out in a few weeks if he starts to lay eggs!
gig.gif
He just looks so different than the bottom picture of the hen. Can hens really be that different in comb/waddle size?

I don't have cochins so I can't address your specific question (although my guess is that they are both hens) but I can say without hesitation that yes, they can be that different in development at the same age. Here's two pictures of my Black Sex-link pullets... hatched on the same day, picture taken within 1 minute of each other..

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

See? Huge difference.

If you go to mypetchicken.com they have lots of close up pictures of cochins. Click on About Chickens - then Breed List - then Cochin. I think you will find this helpful.

I believe he is a roo. And I believe a roo will try to do anything from my experience, mine try to do the floor and my hand and feet,
smile.png
Mybe ur roo was to embarrassed so he hid his face
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom