I NEED to know if this is normal or do I have a hen when I thought roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok last night right before sundown I went to put the chickens to bed and was looking for my two roosters. One is a tiny Serama the other a Giant cochin. Well I have this HUGE rock in my yard and the chickens all love to sit behind it. I walked over there and seen the Serama ON TOP of the Giant cochin mating him. LOL The Giant cochin has his head way down in the corner of the rock like he was scared [​IMG] Do roos try to mate other roos or could the cochin I thought was a roo actually be a hen? He makes hen noises and has never crowed yet. He is 17 weeks old now. He sure does look like a roo! I'm going to go get a picture of him and the other Giant cochin I KNOW is a hen for sure. I will post them here in a bit.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think they will mate with anything given the chance. It's probably a dominance thing. I used to have a rooster that would do it to a cat. The weird thing is that the cat was a male and let him do it!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is the suspected roo. Does everyone agree he IS a roo? The hen is the bottom picture. I'm right, right?
    ETA...they are 17 weeks old

[​IMG]

Below is the hen that hatched with him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have cochins so I am just going by what I see on my birds (feather-wise), but I would say it's a hen. I'm sure someone with cochins will be able to say with more certainty though.

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    It looks like a hen to me...but I don't have cochins either. It's just a hunch! [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH my goodness...now that would be something [​IMG] I guess I will find out in a few weeks if he starts to lay eggs! [​IMG] He just looks so different than the bottom picture of the hen. Can hens really be that different in comb/waddle size?

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't have cochins so I can't address your specific question (although my guess is that they are both hens) but I can say without hesitation that yes, they can be that different in development at the same age. Here's two pictures of my Black Sex-link pullets... hatched on the same day, picture taken within 1 minute of each other..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See? Huge difference.

8. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    If you go to mypetchicken.com they have lots of close up pictures of cochins. Click on About Chickens - then Breed List - then Cochin. I think you will find this helpful.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Looks like a hen to me in the first photo. I don't see a roosters tail feathering.

10. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I believe he is a roo. And I believe a roo will try to do anything from my experience, mine try to do the floor and my hand and feet, [​IMG] Mybe ur roo was to embarrassed so he hid his face [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by