I need to know what I'm doing wrong...

Pics
I'm anxious about the other eggs, how much longer do I wait? My cousin used to incubate chicken eggs and cracked them on day 23, a baby chick was inside but there was no movement... I want to crack the eggs to find out, but what if the same happens to me?

I'm anxious about the other eggs, how much longer do I wait? My cousin used to incubate chicken eggs and cracked them on day 23, a baby chick was inside but there was no movement... I want to crack the eggs to find out, but what if the same happens to me?
I don't see any piping.

My cousin used to incubate chicken eggs and cracked them on day 23, a baby chick was inside but there was no movement... I want to crack the eggs to find out, but what if the same happens to me?

Sometimes chicks die shortly before they are supposed to hatch.
So yes, you could crack an egg and find a dead chick in there.

If there is no peeping sound, no pip in the shell, and you cannot see any movement when you candle: there is a good chance that there NOT a live chick inside.

If you think there is a chick, and you cannot tell if it is alive or dead, you can start by cracking the big end of the shell (where the air cell is), then pull off a piece of shell and look. If it's dead, you can continue opening the shell if you are curious, or you can just dispose of it. If you find a live chick in the shell, put it back in the incubator to stay warm and safe while you come learn about assisting a chick to hatch.

UPDATE: Cracked an egg open because candling didn't really show much. Carefully opened it and found a "dead" baby chick, wasn't breathing, moving, and the yolk sac was in the process of being sucked in. If I accidentally killed the chick for some reason, I regret it.

Also, Twix (first hatched) seems to be a Golden Sebright! Her wings are starting to look orange with black stripes/markings, and they are gorgeous! Not sure about Fluffy (last hatched) her wing feathers are still taking a long time to grow.

1647998524199.png
Twix

Back
Top Bottom