I need to switch dog foods. Help on brands?

Look at that website with a very large grain of salt. Many of the ingredients that he lists to avoid are in fact, important to a dog's diet. Some of the stuff the author says is just bogus.

For example, the website says: Potato Product: AAFCO defines this as potato pieces, peeling, culls, etc., obtained from the manufacture of processed potato products for human consumption.
A cheap byproduct of human food processing that has been stripped of much of the nutritional benefits that whole, fresh potatos offer.

Funny that is considered bad, especially because the potato skin has the most nutritional value! If you don't believe me go to nutritiondata.com

If you really want to give your dog the very best diet, think what he would eat in the wild (like a wolf). Do they pick the muscle meat out and leave everything else? NO. In fact, wolves go straight for the organs first, then eat muscle. They even eat all the plant material that was in the herbivores stomach. They finish the whole animal. This being said, "by-products" are not a bad thing in food, but you wouldn't want the only meat source to be by-products, you still want muscle (usually called meal on food packages) too.

Look at the page about giving filtered water. If the chemicals are really that bad, why is it drinking water for humans???

Quote:
I was getting a large breed puppy food for my GSD mix from the feed store. Not sure of the brand, but it was $35 for 40 lb. bag, so that had to stop.

I now am feeding her and my beagle pup regular adult pedigree, which is what I have always fed my dogs. Every food I have had my GSD on has given her really dry skin. She has absolutely beautiful skin and coat with the Pedigree. Plus it is $15 cheaper!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I also don't like purina brand dog foods. My vet recommended Purina one lamb and rice puppy food for my GSD mix, and if anything it made her dry skin worse!

I would defiently NOT get Purina or those really cheap brands. They are nothing but by products and fillers. Have you checked out Taste of the Wild? http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/ I would go grain free as well as grains cause alot of health issues. But you can buy it online for decent prices, or local stores.

We use the Costco lamb & Rice.

She loves it, it's cheaper than what we used to buy at Petsmart and Lilly looks fantastic. (Golden Retreiver) Her winter coat is coming in and she is gorgeous.

Quote:
Here it is, a dog's natural diet:

IMG_0890.jpg

I have a 13 yr old Lhasa, (he's my avatar) I was giving him pedigree but his stomach couldn't tolerate it anymore.He had bloody diarhea for 2 days and with all the cr@p coming out of china I am now cooking for him.
I talked to my vet, who's a friend and he approved of what I'm doing. I cook 1lb of ground chicken or turkey 3 cups of fresh broccoli 1cup dried of brown rice, makes alot more after I steam it in the rice steamer.low sodium chicken broth and one tblsp of fresh garlic.It makes about 14 servings.He's a small dog. 22 lbs.I put in individual servings and freeze they microwave in 1:20 . I also add a doggie vitamin. To his morning meal.
Sometimes I replace the broccoli with carrots. He loves this stuff. I've also replaced the meat with salmon or tuna. And I make him eggs and broccoli.
I saw somewhere where someone posted to just buy what's on sale.I don't think this is a good Idea every time I've tried this in the past I've had to put up with uncontrollable diarrhea all over the house
I've figured out that the cost per serving is about 58cents per serving but a bigger dog would drive the cost up.

oblio I've seen dead things before so I'm not upset but you should really warn someone before you post stuff like that. there are kids who look at this site.

I'm gonna add another vote for Costco Kirkland Lamb & Rice. We were
feeding them Purina and Blue Seal but after reading a post here and
a food study that rated Kirkland better than even the "premium" brands
we switched.

The results on our dogs were amazing. Our 17 year old (yes 17)
did very well with it, lost weight, and even acts like a puppy. Our
other two dogs enjoy it too.

They all get the kibble with a mix of chicken soup and/or eggs daily.

Back
Top Bottom