I need to take a pill or something

feather2

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
north haven, ct
I have been watching Davekrista's thread saying okay, i'm fine, deep breath.. She's going through the same thing I am............except the one egg (of my three runners) pipped at 8 am this morning. Then got a sizable hole going and now has been sticking its elbow?? or something in and out of it all day. The broken shell around the hole is all brown and I swear there are dry little feathers (looks like two little short hairs) there too. No zipping action (but it is a big hole). The other two eggs are doing nothing but there is a tiny piece of shell next to the one egg. (can't see where it came from). I'm sure I'm starting to halucinate but the elbow or knee or whatever it is is starting to look dry. it's still pushing and panting - I can hardly stand it...wanna do something! Any suggestions? I should say that they are only on their 27th day. This is my second duck hatch and the first was a disaster - one out of eight fertile eggs actually made it. HELP

I am also going through it...But I dont get too anxious or nervous with each hatch anymore. the bad part for me is..I am at work right now- so I have no idea whats going on at home. I had about 7 pipped this morning when I left for work- and one of those had started unzipping during the night. Friday afternoon traffic on the way home is usually fairly clear for me- so today I am hopeful of a fast journey so I can get home to see what has happened.

What you can see is the beak it is trying to break away the shell with a little " egg tooth" on the tip of its beak. It needs to do a full rotation in the egg and break the shell so it can push its way out.

Being that yours are day 27...sit on your hands...They arent really due until tomorrow. Doing anything to help too early in the hatching process can actually be more harmfull in some cases.

Quote:
This sounds like it is shrink wrapped. A big hole is usually a sign. There should not be a leg hanging out, and the dried up part is very concerning. I would take it out and slowly work way the shell around the air sack. Work it back to the 3/4 mark of the egg. Next slowly peel the membrane away, but stop if it bleeds. If it bleeds put it back into the incubator for a couple of hours to rest. If no blood get it to the near half mark of the egg. Never go past the half mark. Also, NEVER pull out a chick, because it can be still absorbing the yolk and you would hurt it. Don't rush it, because they do need 24-48 hours to get out after pipping externally.

I just got home...And with only a few minutes to spare before my first little one pushed out of the egg. I am so glad it took so long and I actually got to watch it!!!

Dont be too hasty in peeling back shell and membrane on a duckling that has not yet reached the due date. I hope you have a much better hatch this time around after your disappointing first hatch- but remember- sometimes they arent strong enough to hatch by themselves for a reason- and helping too early can cause a fatal bleed if you dont know what you are doing. Assuming that your temp was spot on..and tomorrow is the due date- that duckling may still be absorbing the yolk and preparing to unzip. Give it more time before you consider if you have to intervene or not. Opening the incubator to help one duckling may compromise the hatching of all the others in the incubator.

okay, I have been watching all night. It still looks the same, but is still panting. I think I'll go outside for an hour or so. Maybe he and I both need a break. Nothing on the other two either...and working on my forth cup of coffee. Thanks!

I should also say that taking the shell off scares me to death. YIKES. My hands would be shaking like a leaf and probably REALLY do damage. I think I will wait until DH gets home - he's much more steady. God I love and hate this stuff. JUST HATCH little ducky!

We did take the shell off (it was after 40 hours of no progress). My dh has surgical fingers but even he was nervous. The membrane was thick and yellow but not attached to any part of baby ducklings body. I immediately noticed that his "eye tooth" or whatever you call it, was gone. Think he was trying his hardest to get out of the egg, but just lost all of his resources. Anyway, he was really floundering but the egg yoke was fully absorbed and he is eating and drinking. Still am worried. Also, this is a SQ pencilled duck egg and is totally white, so think it is a rarity and not good breeding stock (as per Holderreade), but love an "under dog". The other two eggs are not doing anything ( I did put in a warm wet tiny sponge to replace the egg I took out), but don't hold much hope.

Congratulation on your new arrival and Good to hear that you waited until the right time to help. Helping before the yolk is absorbed is never a good idea. As for the colouring...So sorry you havent got what you thought you would. Its always a risk with eggs- even buying from show quality layers doesnt guarantee show quality offspring - but you would expect the colour to be right. Im not to sure exactly about the genetics of them- and if they can still throw back to white. I ordered some SQ last year- but as adults so I knew exactly what I was getting. They did cost a bit- but it was worth waiting for them to grow out to know for sure I was getting what I wanted.

Dont give up all hope for those last two. When I transferred eggs into the hatcher the other day- I left one behind as I could see no movement. I have been keeping an eye on it in the incubator- but just when I was about to take it out and toss it about an hour ago - I actually found the shell pipped. This little one hasnt moved in three days. It is backwards in the egg- but its in the hatcher now.

Thanks for your encouragement. I will leave the two until day 31 at least. The baby is eating and sleeping but just doesn't seem right. I think there is a wing issue and its neck is like bald, but it is a SURVIVOR so far. Will let you know.

By the way, I am just trying to get my single runner some friends. I ordered two adult females from Holdereade but the last I heard from them is that they are still trying to see if any are left from the deposits they have. The drake I have is the most beautiful and doting pet I have ever had short of my dog. "Fred" the duck has let my dog know that he is the main guy. He actually body bashes Radar who quizzically looks at him like - h e l l o.

Back
Top Bottom