I need your help, laws and ordinances

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Strange_Screams, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Ok, So, Ive done what research I can and I need help, and ideas...

Story:

Said person works for a chain of pawn shops and found that someone from another store has allowed someone to pawn a Ball Python, its in the back sitting in inventory, no light and no bedding in a little bitty tank, the guys that had it didn't even know what to feed it. This person has been going by and checking its temp and added bedding, but is outraged that it would be allowed to live in sub par conditions.

I'm trying to find a city code or ordinance or SOMETHING, that would allow this person to be a whistle-blower without getting in trouble themselves from their company.

Its in Texas which has recently enacted a law baring the sale of some species, including all constricting snakes, but I haven't found the actual law yet, apparently it allows some counties and or cities to decline to enforce said laws.

I cant find anything specific about snakes in the Waco city ordinance code, but I plan on contacting the Texas department of Wildlife tomorrow to see if they have any insight.

I know y'all are awesome at finding out information about these kinds of things, so when I hit a roadblock, I just had to call in the chickens.

This is disturbing to me on many levels other then the mistreatment, ball pythons usually retail at around 50-80 and the pawn shop gave 75 for it. I'm thinking that the person who pawned it fed a line of crap about it being special, when from what Ive been told it has no special markings or traits and the pawn shop actually fell for it, apparently up to a district management level. And what about the guy who pawned it in the first place? [​IMG]

So, anyone got any ideas?

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    What about the humane society?

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
  4. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I wonder if the snake was stolen if the person who had it didn't even know what to feed it.

5. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know how to help you with the laws but, can that person or you call the local animal control and anonymously say that you suspect there's a snake being neglected in the back?

6. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    the pawn guys dont know what to fee it hollyclyff,

No laws or city ordinances help, Ive called the state agencies, and ball pythons just arnt restricted, so none of the laws apply. The snake is ok for now, cus someone is checking on it and feeding it on there own time, we cant really do anything untill the snake gets put onto the floor, then were planning an in mass calls to the local animal control there.

rodriguezpoultry , those shows are in the three major cities, they actually have enough need to have full time officers for that, there isnt enough public funding for those kinds of things in most places. I always wondered if the show was in place to help fund the programs.

Thanks yall

7. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    they shoudl contact ac and say it isnt being properly fed or housed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by