I need your help!

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I need HONEST opinions. I am NOT a carpenter. I build stuff for fun and stress relief (even though they tire me to death). School is almost out and that means COOP TIME. I am wanting to have 12+ chickens. I wanted to build one, but found this. It's $299 and is pretty good. I figured we could cut the pop door out on the side, A vent on the back (probably 1'x5') and then a window on the side of popdoor. I'M NOT SURE THOUGH. I need to know what you guys think. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=100211354&N=10000003+524467+10282013

22333_1dd253d7-b06d-4c9b-9ee9-7e64ed63f1df_300.jpg

Some questions:
-What are some ways to install the window? They need to have light
wink.png

- Should I have a pop door that slides up and down, or that is hinged on the side and closes?

-Is this going to be like an oven? We have a window unit we could use, but just curious.

well if it is all metal, it will be real hot in summer, and in winter very cold, plus if it is not heavey enough any wind can blow it, so IMO $299 are better used for some culled lumber and and some wrong cut metals, do you remember the shed I build a while ago, it was 12'x20' with new stuff only for $400.
so my honest advice is build your own, I know that you are not a builder, but from what I've seen you built, I am sure you are smart enough to figure things out.

good luck

Omran

I agree with staying away from the metal ones. Will be too hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. If you have a Craigslist for your area or something like it, you might find people selling used wooden garden sheds once in awhile. We have a metal barn...and on hot days, you can nearly burn your hand if you're standing inside, and put your hand on the inside of the steel.

Angie

I installed one of these, or at least one very similar to it, I got it from Lowes... I live in Abilene, TX. I just used it for a shed. It got destroyed by the wind withing a year and a half.

I was not impressed by the structural integrity of it. seems to use the thin metal sheeting walls as partial support. modifying it would make it weaker. they are not made to have holes cut in them..

I have to concur with others on the site, build with wood. or find a used wood shed.

Good Luck!

I have that shed and it is like an oven during the day. We are completely inexperienced at building and managed to build, w/o plans, an pretty nice A-frame coop and overall it costs less than 1/2 what that shed would. I also think it would be easier to build from scratch than modify that shed and if you have to put it together it is a pain.

Forget "pretty" and go for "practical".

Take a look at my coop linked below.

Anything you build can be rebuilt.

Use anything cheap or free.

Make it preditor-proof.

Have fun and don't stress. The only mistake is not trying.

Back
Top Bottom