I NEED your opinion on this!!!!

ChickyPooh

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
South GA
Right now I have lost 195 bucks on my chickens. I recently came across a post where every body said they wold never clear a profit on their chickens. I have 65 dollors right now that i put in as a profit for my chickens. Should I spend this money on new chicks and egg cartons right now or wait till I clear a prfit (which is highly improbable)?

Just give me your opinion because I have new chicks right now that i think I could easly intergrate with dayolds and I need those egg cartons.

Last edited:
Do you know people who could save their egg cartons for you? I have a couple people giving me their cartons and right now I have so many I actually had to ditch some. Unless, you need them to say something special or be blank or something, this could save you...

I have never bought an egg carton. People recycle and save them for us. Spend your $$ on chicks and feed.

Your post is a little hard to follow; Im not certain what your question is. But allow me to try.

It depends on if you must work from a profit base. If this is really a hobby, as it is for the majority of us, then do whatever your finances allow.
I mean, you've spent $195 already, so a few more bucks wont hurt.

On the other hand, if this chicken stuff has to be a chicken business then you must get serious and do whatever is needed to remain profitable.

If I get you right, you have added another $65 into the general fund for expenses. If you are producing enough eggs to begin receiving some payback, then you need decent cartons.
I can tell you that nothing spells quality to the consumer like your own egg cartons, with a nice label on them... imagine going to the store for eggs and they were in ratty, random, re-used cartons. What would you think?
It's about how you view your efforts and the value you place on your product - and about that same image you plant in the consumers mind. After all, they're gonna accept whatever you tell them about yourself.

But this whole thing leads me to another question? If you want to make profit, ergo, be in business - do you have a business plan? If not, perhaps you need to get started on one right away.

Last edited:
Quote:
Having chickens is a semi-hobby. We love our chickens and they are a great animal to have around but we want a profit even though it isn't really required.
These eggs will be sold to friends and neighbors so i don't think the cover on the cartons will really matter. Thanks for the idea on recycling though I'll be asking around

Quote:
So you've answered the question, "Hobby or Business?"
Unfortunately, the tried and true way to make profit is to get serious.
Detailed accounting of all expenses, reducing costs where possible and selling at a price to the right people so as to afford a profit is the trick.
Offering casual sales to family and friends probably won't do it.
Dumb luck occasionally steps in but it isnt something you want to bet on, either.

As feed costs rise and the amount of work and time exerted continues unabated, you may have to look at planned effort to turn any sort of real profit. Good luck to you.

Davaroo you made some excellent points there!
Whether it be selling horses or chickens or whatever you need to properly promote them....
I have a friend who buys 4-H chickens and goats at auctions (after fairs are over) real cheap and takes them home and advertises and "displays" them real nice on his farm and makes alot of profit at it!
A big selling point is how nice your farm is and the animals living conditions..

I agree with the point that your farm and the way it is kept up does make a difference to those outside of your circle. Our friends and family may over look our issues but people who are not in your circle will not. Having a clean coop, run, and nesting boxes is a must. If you want to purchase your own label on cartoons go ahead. One thing you can do is advertise bring your own carton ...go green or charge extra with a discount for returned on next trip cartons. Kind of like when the coke bottles got returned for money back or cans ect....

Well, I'm retired now and so most of my friends are also. They belong to country clubs, cycle clubs etc. I asked them to save cartons for me and I must have 200 in my shed. I wasn't expecting such a response but they announced it at their clubs so ppl I don't even know in effect brought me cartons ( to my club )..

How many do you need to get started? I find now that if I sell a dozen eggs to a friend the carton comes back for more. Not always but usually. A friend also made labels that I tape on top of my cartons. They are the size of the whole top and some clear shipping tape holds them on great and even shines it up a bit. I also NEVER sell an egg with any dirt on it. I always wipe any spots off that look offensive.

I'll give you one example of the label

Parker Perfect Eggs.......Laid by chics who give a cluck/ With a pic of some chickens. It's kind of fun and makes it special and doesn't cost too much since I usually refill the cartons when they return them. Since it's kind of cute and unique I suppose they just hate to throw them out so I usually get them back.

I was surprised at the price of cartons so this worked for me, although I will probably NEVER turn a profit, LOL.

If you think you could get started with 50 cartons or so...........PM or Email me and I can help you out for shipping cost.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom