I needHelp!

las guapas

Chirping
Aug 6, 2021
My Silkie has this new growth on her face. Started about 5 days ago. But it’s growing super fast. Watery eyes. Still drinks water and eats. Doesn’t get up to walk. She has been Broody and has some eggs under her. Can someone tell me what this is and how I can help her get better?

Attachments

• CEB92419-A57F-4402-8DA3-B7B07CEBA554.jpeg
    CEB92419-A57F-4402-8DA3-B7B07CEBA554.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 4C407BB3-0745-4E31-ABAA-4DB127EC4DE4.jpeg
    4C407BB3-0745-4E31-ABAA-4DB127EC4DE4.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 4
My Silkie has this new growth on her face. Started about 5 days ago. But it’s growing super fast. Watery eyes. Still drinks water and eats. Doesn’t get up to walk. She has been Broody and has some eggs under her. Can someone tell me what this is and how I can help her get better?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

Does she have any lice or mites on the body?
How long has she been broody?

Looks like it might be Favus or possibly Scaly Face Mites. Hard to know unless you can see a vet.
I would apply an anti-fungal medication to the skin tissue and treat for mites. Ivermectin would be a good choice for a broody. If she's got some lice/mites on the body, then I'd consider dusting her with a permethrin based poultry dust as well.

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

Does she have any lice or mites on the body?
How long has she been broody?

Looks like it might be Favus or possibly Scaly Face Mites. Hard to know unless you can see a vet.
I would apply an anti-fungal medication to the skin tissue and treat for mites. Ivermectin would be a good choice for a broody. If she's got some lice/mites on the body, then I'd consider dusting her with a permethrin based poultry dust as well.
Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate it.
I am in Southern CA
I don’t see lice or mites on the body. I will keep checking.
Broody for 23 days on Sat. She had one egg left. I finally removed it and had super tiny, tiny, tiny black bugs. They kind of look like moving dots.
I have disinfected the entire coop & discarded the bad egg.
I am doing as you recommended. Now that there is no more eggs to hatch and she seems ready to go back to her normal, do I keep her separate from the flock to avoid spreading the fungus?
She has her own broody place away from the flock. But no eggs hatched, sadly.

I don’t see lice or mites on the body. I will keep checking.
Broody for 23 days on Sat. She had one egg left. I finally removed it and had super tiny, tiny, tiny black bugs. They kind of look like moving dots.
I would keep her separated until she's fit and able to rejoin the flock.

Tiny bugs may be mites, so I would inspect her closely to see if any are moving about on her, especially around the vent, top of the head, under the wings.
You may want to consider treating her and her housing with the Permethrin as well.

Just coming out of being broody, see that she's drinking and eating well, moving about. I'd get some extra protein into her ( a little egg, meat, fish or chick starter) and direct dose with poultry vitamins for a few days too.

I'm sorry to hear the hatch was unsuccessful :(

I would keep her separated until she's fit and able to rejoin the flock.

Tiny bugs may be mites, so I would inspect her closely to see if any are moving about on her, especially around the vent, top of the head, under the wings.
You may want to consider treating her and her housing with the Permethrin as well.

Just coming out of being broody, see that she's drinking and eating well, moving about. I'd get some extra protein into her ( a little egg, meat, fish or chick starter) and direct dose with poultry vitamins for a few days too.

I'm sorry to hear the hatch was unsuccessful :(
Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom