I now understand chicken math!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DerbyChook, Aug 27, 2010.

1. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I was guiltily counting the number of chickens I have and may potentially get in the near future, and caught myself thinking, "The silkies don't count, they aren't really chickens, they are the children's pets." So now I am officially in the Crazy Chicken Lady Club? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes Derby yes! You are an official crazy chicken lady......I'm up to 19, but I have put a cap on it. No more chickens.....the feed is getting expensive! LOL

I started with three little day old chicks. Lost one to a hawk, and since I was sad, I had to buy FOUR MORE to replace the one chick.......and the rest is history! [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Dont forget that bantams count as half a chicken. So it takes 2 bantams to equal 1 standard chicken. [​IMG]

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Glad to hear that info about bantams! Whew! But I am that crazy chicken lady anyhoo..been called worse! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Good to know about the special bantam math. So the silkies are actually negative chickens since they are not really chickens, just pets, and then, even if they WERE chickens, they would only be 1/2 chickens. Therefore, each silkie is actually negative 1/2 chicken [​IMG] Chicken math is a wonderful thing.

I only have five chickens, plus one EE chick and a few negative number silkie chicks, but I also live in the city and am headed toward being WAY over the legal limit. Luckily, the neighbors don't seem to care. I figure as long as I keep the run clean and odor free and don't keep roos, I will get away with it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by