I opened the incubator while an egg was pipping and now it's stuck PELASE HELP

KaleDaDuck

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Hi i opened the incubator on day 14 to prepare for lockdown and to my surprise there was a chick already trying to hatch out
.. now i put the chick back in the incubator 24 hours and still hasnt made any progress.. im afraid to open the incubator as there are more chicks hatching... Please help for the love of god this is the second thread!

Hi Kale,

Everything I can find says they should be fine. It also says sometimes you have to open during the lock down, just try to be quick. I could not find the spevifs on a quail egg. But on a duck and chicken egg they can take up to 48 hours to zip after piping externally. Watch your humidity, and if you are feeling something might be wrong do a quick candling and listen for tapping ( that is the chick working to cone out) That is advice from long time farmers I have received. I hope this helps you feel better about opening. One of comments on BYC said they open to check theirs all the time. If I find anything else I will post it for you !! Good luck and please keep us updated!!

Hi Kale,

Everything I can find says they should be fine. It also says sometimes you have to open during the lock down, just try to be quick. I could not find the spevifs on a quail egg. But on a duck and chicken egg they can take up to 48 hours to zip after piping externally. Watch your humidity, and if you are feeling something might be wrong do a quick candling and listen for tapping ( that is the chick working to cone out) That is advice from long time farmers I have received. I hope this helps you feel better about opening. One of comments on BYC said they open to check theirs all the time. If I find anything else I will post it for you !! Good luck and please keep us updated!!
i tried to open the egg and found her dead... Now i just ruined all the other eggs... I feel like a failure

i tried to open the egg and found her dead... Now i just ruined all the other eggs... I feel like a failure
I am so sorry!!! 😢 I know it hurts!! I lost every chick the first time I tried to incubate. Are the other eggs piping? Keep them going. Don't give up, the others may surprise you. You are not a failure. Sometimes it happens even when the Mom broods them. We have a mentor Farmer and she said she has been doing it for years and she still loses them sometimes even when you do everything textbook so to speak .

Back
Top Bottom