I performed a necropsy *with graphic photos* egg yolk peritonitis

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
My 1.5 yr old Black Sexlink has been ill for about 4 months. I treated her for everything under the sun and finally decided she had had enough. I called around to see if any of the avian vets or schools would perform a necropsy and I got prices from $150-500.....yikes! I told myself to be brave and do it myself as I have other birds and wanted to know what happened to her. I have done a lot of reading on here and as soon as I opened her up, I knew it was egg yolk peritonitis from seeing pictures of it before. I will include pictures below, for those of you who want to look. The yolk was spread throughout her entire chest cavity. It was very dense around the gizzard, and the ovary that I found was somewhat hard and filled with many tiny sacs. She was basically skin and bones by now. The poor thing
hit.gif
I feel bad that I didn't put her down sooner, but I wanted to give her every chance I could. At least now I can sleep knowing that I couldn't have done anything else. Except for worrying about the remaining 5 BSL that I raised from day olds with her. Photos below: body cavity, gizzard and ovary

hugs.gif
so sorry about your hen, I have lost two recently to polysystic ovarian disease :( funny how these simple little birds creep right into our hearts!

Sorry to hear you lost your hen- I too have a sick girl who I think has EYP- Loke you I have tried everything and she did seem to perk up following A/B.
Yesterday and today however she seems far more withdrawn and hunched up. I think I may give more A/B but if she does not improve in the next day or so I too will have to do the brave thing and have her PTS- (fraid I am not as brave as you though and will have to get the vet to do it)
She is one of my original four ex battery hens and has already been so much

We are probably going to put down our beautiful EE who has been suffering with EP for month. The prognosis for her even after spending hundreds at the vet is so poor, I'm probably going to call it quits. Your pictures helped me understand what is happening. Thank you!

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that you lost her, but it was very noble of you to seek out and confirm the cause and share with everyone. Prior to the four month period that you mentioned her being ill, did she have problems? Was there always something going on with her that suddenly got worse?

Oh dear...this is what my serama has right now. She's on AB's but basically laying on a cushion asleep most of the time although I've been able to get her to take a little kefir.
I'm starting to think I'm not doing her any favours by keeping her hanging on like this. It's really hard though because we hatched her ourselves and she she's such a friendly little thing. Her best friend Tim (rooster) is very lonely without her and we brought him inside to visit yesterday...she perked right up and hobbled over to him, it was so cute!

Back
Top Bottom