I posted this under Emergency but was told you guys could help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BooBear, May 21, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
  2. littlegorb

littlegorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    looks pretty much like my 6 week olds that i butchered today. i saw nothing wrong or abnormal. mine did fast for about 18 hours, with water.

3. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

That should be the gizzard.Chickens have these instead of gall bladders.Pretty much works the same way. but it uses grit and gravel instead of acids moreless. AS far as the look of it,I've never seen one quite that large and inflamed. did you cut it open to see if there was any undigested in there or something?

4. littlegorb

littlegorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    i do not see a liver but i see what looks like a bile sac that was attached to it. my gizzards still had grit and crud, the crops were empty though.

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    the gall bladder is attached to the liver, it is the place was poisons gathered in the liver are stored to be released into the stomach.

what you are talking about, the dark red thing with the whitish, bluish sides, is the gizzard. cut the tracts at the entrance and exit. butterfly it (cutting it lengthwise - the direction in which it is the longest, not shortest). there will be food and grit, and a dark yellow skin. grab a hold of that yellow skin and peel it off, there will be a whitish blue underlining. rinse it off, and you're ready to eat [​IMG]

i like barbecue shake and bake best, myself

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

Boy am I a noob. Well I did not fast him long enough as I just took the food away at noon and decided to butch one of the boys out. He was the smallest of the 3.

I think I got grossed out though as I cannot see eating it. [​IMG] Sorry guys.

Thanks for the replies; we will be eating him soon. [​IMG]

7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    you don't have to withdraw food, some do some don't

we don't

the gizzard is just a muscle; a very tough muscle.

not everyone eats them. my wife won't

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by