I purchased 25 chicks fro Strombergs chickens

ArthurLedd

Songster
May 19, 2019
PITCAIRN PA
I received the chicks in perfect health on July 10 2020, it is now Dec 7 and still no eggs , I bought Delaware, Rhode island red, Ameraucanas, Production blues, and Welsummer chickens and not one egg has been laid as yet I think this is quite strange you would think one or two eggs should have been laid I know the time of year has a lot to do with it but common not one egg I am feeding good egg laying food, any thoughts

I received the chicks in perfect health on July 10 2020, it is now Dec 7 and still no eggs , I bought Delaware, Rhode island red, Ameraucanas, Production blues, and Welsummer chickens and not one egg has been laid as yet I think this is quite strange you would think one or two eggs should have been laid I know the time of year has a lot to do with it but common not one egg I am feeding good egg laying food, any thoughts
If they aren't laying, you shouldn't be feeding them layer food. I would switch them to a complete feed with 18-20% protein and put out a container or two of oyster shell that they can eat free choice when they actually need the extra calcium. Otherwise the excess calcium needs to be removed from the body and that puts an unnecessary strain on the kidneys.
It's not surprising at all that they aren't laying yet. They aren't that old and the days are getting shorter. Hopefully you'll have eggs want next year.

Don't feel bad, I will share some of mine with you.
eggs.JPG

i agree with others. they are pretty young. many dont lay til 6mo but the timing is bad. when you get them in summer and they would normally would start laying within 6 mo or so the lack of light is a factor. this year i am getting chicks in january...and by mid summer they will (should!) lay. probably BEST time would be september!!! ill do that next time.

Back
Top Bottom