I put a remote thermometer in the coop

tyjaco

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2010
Cloverdale, CA
And I'm so glad I did! I've been experimenting a little. It was on our deck. the night that I moved it - the temp on the deck was 31 degrees. I moved the unit into the coop (it's at the end of a roost, so same level as the girls), and the coop temp that night only got down to 42 degrees! Perfect!

So, last night was about the same temperature wise. But, when I went out to open the pop door this morning, I noticed that I had forgotten to close the window last night. So even with the window open all night, the temp didn't go below 40 degrees! (It remembers the high and low temps over a 24 hour period).

This is good for 2 reasons. I don't need a heat lamp on cold nights, AND it tells me that there isn't a draft on them (cuz the temp would have dropped sometime during the night). So when I open the big vent for the summer (I have a panel screwed over the big vent for winter), I think I'm good - it's even higher than the window - and bigger.

yuckyuck.gif

I put one in my coop too! I have the station in my bedroom so I look at it first thing in the morning and last thing at night and if I get up in the night so I know the temp in the coop all the time they are in there! I find it MOST important when it is hot in the summer!

Good idea. I have one in my studio, the batteries died two years ago and since I never paid attention to it, it's still sitting there. I think I'll put in fresh batteries and try it today.

Yesterday I set up a wifi infrared cam in the coop, it's fun checking them out at night, but the lens is too narrow- it needs a wide angle.

Last edited:
I put a remote thermometer in last fall. was great to look at the Min temp the coop was the night before. It never got below 24 even with a few nights in the teens and without heat.

What brand of thermometers is everyone using? What is the range like? I would like to do the same thing but you hear about a lot of these that claim they have a 300 foot range only to find out it really is about 50....

I bought one at Orschlens (forgot the price) by Acu-rite. It's not as fancy as the ones posted above that record 24 hours of high/low temps.
I have another one (gift) that tells the time, moon phase, as well as indoor and outdoor (or where ever you put the transmitter), but didn't tell high/low temp in 24 hours so I didn't know I was missing out on that function.
lol.png

CG

What brand of thermometers is everyone using? What is the range like? I would like to do the same thing but you hear about a lot of these that claim they have a 300 foot range only to find out it really is about 50....
I have a La Crosse Model# WS-8300U-IT. It has thermometer and hygrometer functions. Records highs and lows. Rated for 300ft in an uninterrupted line. Directions state the reception is cut in half for every standard stud wall the signal has to penetrate. IE: 1 wall will cut the distance to 150', 2 walls will cut the distance to 75 " etc., etc. My sensor is about 60 ft away from the receiver and shoots through 4 walls and a floor and still works great. This is my second La Crosse in the last twenty years. I've had this one for about four years and have never replaced the batteries yet.

Back
Top Bottom