I put some fertile eggs underneath her...JUNE 6th- PICS ON PG 6

wee.gif

Absolutley!

Quote:
That is so cool! I would love to see my grandchicks and their children. You could supply your whole neighborhood with chickens! haha

Quote:
I don't know about the whole neighborhood, but it seems to be growing in popularity!

Wed update:

We had workers here at the house all day and the girls had to stay in their 8x14 run/coop for most of the day. Needless to say, they were happy to get out and freerange. Even with all of the loud noise, Stitch did just fine.

Last edited:
Thurs 05/26- Day 10 Update

I haven't seen Stitch get off the nest- I felt so bad, I brought her a hand full of blueberries. I figured at least she would get some water and nutrients out of them. She gobbled them up like there was no tomorrow. I felt better knowing that she at least had a decent amount of food in her. Then my mind wandered and I thought about what I just may have done to her by giving her so much fruit...hopefully, it doesn't react with her the way it does with humans.
hu.gif

She is protective as ever- in fact, I think our White Rock (Ivory) has been laying eggs in that nest when Stitch steps out. We have been trying to get those out of there without bothering Stitch too much. Today, we just decided to leave her alone after feeding her.

So there it is- 10 days and all appears to be doing well. More to come............
pop.gif

Fri 05/27/2011 (Day eleven) Update:

Ivory kicked Stitch off the nest so she could lay her eggs there. After Ivory was done (or so I thought), I went and took the egg I believed to be hers. Luckily, I candled it prior to cracking it open- it was one of the fertile ones (the markings had faded away)! Yikes- that was a close one!

Anyway, Stitch did get the opportunity to walk around, eat, and get something to drink for about half an hour while Ivory lovingly sat on the eggs for her. I couldn't believe how much attention Ivory was paying to the eggs. I wonder if she's next to go broody?

Halfway there and all appears to be well!!!

Last edited:
Sat/Sun (Day 12-13)-

I think I must be losing my mind- mental note for next time- take a picture of the eggs that are put under a broody....

Were there two green and two light blue eggs? I thought there was only one blue/white one, but when I candled it, it had a chick growing in it. Why has this made me (the one who can remember most anything) be so foregetful?

On the bright side, I think we are getting good with the candling thing even though that is something we did not set out to do. We were just going to leave everything alone, but when we noticed Stitch's pile being added to by the other girls, I felt bad. Stitch is not a huge chicken and I wanted to give the fertile eggs their best chance.

One more week to go.....
it-s-a-beautiful-thing.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Me too!!! I can't believe Stitch is still sitting on those eggs even thigh everyone keeps messing with her. I would've probably left by now if it were me.

I just found my jersey off her eggs. Silly bird moved over 1 nest box to sit on a silkie egg. I felt the dozen eggs shes been sitting on and they were cool to the touch. My question is will they still hatch? They were due to hatch about the 6th I think. I am very new to this broody thing with chickens I have only raised parrots in the past and they never leave the nest.I picked her up and put her back on them and she settled right in like she never left. I swear...... shes a sweet tempered bird but dumb as a box of rocks sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom