I raised 38 chicks to pullets, and not one of them is laying.

Hi, my chicks were born on May 21, 2013, I was there when they started hatching in the incubator!
Anyway, ONE of my 2 JUST began laying 6 days ago (Oct 21 would have been 5 months, Nov 4 was two weeks past that).
She began clucking this weird little song and hiding under an old chair in the weeds.
I took my son today to see where I thought she was going to nest- and found a cache of 6 eggs where she had been singing every morning
for about an hour each day. I know I only have 2 girls (and you have 40) wow. But, I heard 5 months is the absolute EARLIEST they would begin, so I thought
it may still be a month or 2 out. Her friend who was born a day or 2 later still has not laid an egg at all.
My friends have raised chickens that didn't lay until 6-8 months.
I know it is hard to wait- but, it just may be that they need more time!
Once they start laying- what are you going to do with all the eggs? I read they lay one egg every 25 hrs- so you may have up to 40 eggs a day! Are you going to sell & eat them?
I am thinking we will be giving them away after a few weeks of two eggs a day:) but we'll see!
I am BRAND NEW to this chicken mama thing- so, I have only related my story & my friend's, I don't know what the 'norm' is for most hens.
I have a Black Australorp and I think the other is an Easter Egger ( based on her facial feather shape & pics I have seen, won't know until she lays)

Back
Top Bottom