I ran out of chick starter

coolchik

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
Front Royal, Va
Would it be okay to give my babies layer mash to fill their bellies just until j can get to the store? It's Sunday and my local feed store does not open until 10. My poor babies are starving (well at least they're acting like it) or is their something else I can give them. I feel like a jerk for running out of food and not being more prepared.

Scrambled or mashed boiled eggs is an excellent food for chicks. I give my 6 chicks eggs every morning and they have their chick feed the rest of the day. Some uncooked regular ground up oatmeal sprinkled on top makes it extra special!

This is why it's a good idea to feed an all flock feed when you have chicks. But lots of things are good subs for starter. Tofu is an excellent chick food. Boiled egg yolk and shredded boiled egg white, cooked oatmeal or farina, cooked brown rice, cooked quinoa, meal worms as a protein supplement, catch some miller moths.

I have new chicks on such a regular basis, I simply gave up feeding layer and just feed Flock Raiser all the time. No worries, no brain work at all.

This is why it's a good idea to feed an all flock feed when you have chicks. But lots of things are good subs for starter. Tofu is an excellent chick food. Boiled egg yolk and shredded boiled egg white, cooked oatmeal or farina, cooked brown rice, cooked quinoa, meal worms as a protein supplement, catch some miller moths.

I have new chicks on such a regular basis, I simply gave up feeding layer and just feed Flock Raiser all the time. No worries, no brain work at all.
No brain work?... My kinda work!

Back
Top Bottom