I reached in for my wallet and found an egg!

omelette'smom :

Since production of eggs is so low lately, I am not prepared to gather them and bring them inside the house. I found one 2 days ago and put it in my pocket. I went shopping later that day and as i was getting my money......wa-la......an egg! thankfully unbroken! I put a light in the coop to extend daylight. I'm going to try changing the timer to go on early in a.m. and to shut off earlier than i have the timer now. I got 3 eggs in one day where i normally get one in 3 days. I think it's working. I check on them while the light is on for them and they still are going to sleep as if the light ISN'T on. I would figure that they would be walking around and such! Who else had a light on and what are your chickens doing?

My light comes on at 1 AM and goes off at 4PM. I use 1 compact floresent for the ceiling and 1 250 watt heat light focused over the water pail to keep it thawed. All on the same timer. Gets real dark here by 5. This gives them 15 hours good light, 1 hour dusk to get on the roost and 8 hours dark to sleep. I get an average of 7 eggs a day for 8 hens. Lots of times 8. I have noticed that about 3:30 they have started to head to the roost in prep for the light to go off. Everyone is on the roost by the time the lights off and it gets dark.
It also causes all my eggs for the day to usually be laid before 7 AM so I can get them before work if need be for a REALLY fresh sale!​

Well after all of this discussion, I got a big double yolker egg yesterday and put it in my jacket pocket. This morning I put on the jacket and felt something in my pocket. So I pushed on it and- you guessed it- the egg broke in my pocket.
roll.png

Buster.....OMG!
lau.gif

NOT A SINGLE EGG SINCE I GOT 3 IN A DAY!
barnie.gif

I'm gonna play in there today and put in fresh bedding, change the hay in the boxes again, change the timer, give them the 'ol pep talk. My ugly EE finally filled in and she looks like a really lovely chicken now..my dd saw her yesturday and asked when we got her!
smack.gif

goofball! we've had these seniors for 3 months and my other EE has a way to go but looks really healthy and strong now. does it seem that the older they are, the longer their molt seems to last?

Christmas program at the school last night. In the chaos the last thing I did before leaving was to lock up the coop and picked up one last egg. Can you see where this is going? Back to house to drop off egg but someone had to use the bathroom after he was in his car seat... Well when we sat down on the bleachers all was still good. Little kid came and sat down next to me and happened to land partially on my coat...on the pocket...on the huge egg in my pocket. Try explaining this one...hey, kid, get off of my wet slimy egg mess. lol

I'm so glad I'm reading this thread now! Mine have yet to lay...but I am the type to put an egg in my pocket and forget it!

Maybe I should hang a basket by the coop before they start laying!

Back
Top Bottom