I realized something about gray hair this weekend...

i was so sick of dying my long hair.. i am 57 and been gray since 30.. so i have about 3" roots.. daughter told me the other day to let her dye it ... she said i needed to have some sort of dignity lol.. told her don't touch me!!! they grow 1" i chop off 1" eventually it will get there. i love wearing pony tails.

I was so miserable growing out my hair that if I had to do it again, I'd get one those fashionable cuts 1" in length. Then I'd but a new hat.
celebrate.gif

I'm 50 with dead straight, super shiny, extra fine, dark brunette hair and every so often, when the sun catches it a certain way I see a beautiful silver thread. I've always loved my hair - and give thanks every day that I didn't inherit the bright red hair of my Irish ancestors that divides my family exactly down the middle - so I'll let the silver lining shine through .....

I have had grey hairs since I was 17, I am now 31. I only have gray in 2 stripes above my temples. Everyone tells me it just looks like I have highlights, since my hair is a light to meduim brown. My husband calls them my skunk stripes. I now point out each and every gray hair I find on his head or in his beard.

I've just recently decided to stop dying it, and let it grow out. I'm also going to chop it off. Its fairly short to begin with but I don't like that growing out look. I'm think that at 46, my hair is pretty evenly dark and gray now. It takes such frequent dying to keep it dark now, and it always fades to blondish, which I don't like. I'm giving it a try, but I'm hoping I won't embarrass the kids or scare the dh.

Ok, maybe embarrassing the 12 year old would be okay, he sort of deserves it.

Quote:
My nearly 44yo sister got herself a fashionable new 1" haircut in December, to gracefully get rid of the dyed ends of her long hair. She is darling in it, and looks just like Jamie Lee Curtis. I say go for it!

Quote:
How funny! I do that to my husband too! It's nice that there is evidence that some day he'll catch up to me in the lavender hair department...

I kinda a big lady, and I'm afraid with a short hair cut I'll look as jowly as Winston Churchill...not at all like Jamie Lee Curtis.

I really hate people calling be "sir". And around here, earrings are not enough of a tip-off that I'm female.
big_smile.png

Yeah, I wouldn't look much like Jamie Lee Curtis, either, darn it. I think I'll keep my hair long and just live with the dye growing out. It's getting there, after a year and a cute new layered cut.

The good thing about going grey (or white as the case may be) is that it forces us to set our priorities. Being young is not everything. Being healthy, being loved, and loving is. I say, bring the grey on, as long as I continue to grow in other ways!
old.gif
:old:old:old:old:old

Back
Top Bottom