I really like the way the Cemani Chickens look...and I have three hens that look like they may be

however they're extreme frizzles and I would like to breed some smooth feathered healthier looking chooks. They are excellent, large to jumbo egg layers and I love their calm personalities. The Roo is a nice big boy but not mean or flighty. I should add that the hens are all quite heavy solid birds.

I also have one that is "Wild Type" Coloured.

If I took those four and crossed them with this roo would I have a decent chance at a better feather?

Obv, it would be so much easier to just go out and buy a quality bird, but that's just not an open option to me here. I'm going to have to make do with what I have.

Your birds have the most extreme expression of the frizzle phenotype. Your birds carry two genes for frizzle and do not carry a modifier that would inhibit the expression of the frizzle genes.
The modifier of the frizzle gene is recessive so a bird must carry two of the modifier genes to effect the expression of the frizzle genes. The frizzle gene is also incompletely dominant. If you combine all the gene possibilities there can be varying degrees of expression in frizzled birds.

The fact that the birds are the most extreme form of frizzle presents some problems when attempting to out cross to produce a cemani. The good news is that the male chicken you want to use as a breeder should carry the recessive genes that would help modify the frizzle gene.

A bird can carry one frizzle gene and if it also carries the two recessive modifiers; the bird can look almost normal feathered.

What is the color of the shanks of the male you have in the above picture? If he has blue or slate shanks that would be good. Does he have blue or slate shanks? What color of skin does the male have? Does he have white shanks, green shanks or yellow shanks? It would be best if he had white or blue shanks.

I need to know this before I can give you any breeding advise.

Tim

thats only true for Sex linked genes, and Fibromelanotic is not a sex linked gene and both parents have id+(sex linked none derman inhibitor) which allows for the black skin to expressed..

can Sexlinked id+ and Fm(Fibromelanotic) used as a sex link trait? Yes..

how?

Male would need to be id+/-id+ Fm/Fm
Female would need to be Id/Id(yellow shanks) fm+/fm+(no black skin)

this cross would produce id+/- Fm/fm+ females with black skin and can be detected at hatch
this cross would produce Id/id+ Fm/fm+ Males with white skin, and this is because Id is inhibiting the expression of Fm. so they will have white/yellow skin

Thanks for the info :)

thats only true for Sex linked genes, and Fibromelanotic is not a sex linked gene and both parents have id+(sex linked none derman inhibitor) which allows for the black skin to expressed..

how?

this cross would produce id+/- Fm/fm+ females with black skin and can be detected at hatch
this cross would produce Id/id+ Fm/fm+ Males with white skin, and this is because Id is inhibiting the expression of Fm. so they will have white/yellow skin

how?

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. That roo does not have yellow skin? Would I have been correct if he did?

Your birds have the most extreme expression of the frizzle phenotype. Your birds carry two genes for frizzle and do not carry a modifier that would inhibit the expression of the frizzle genes.
The modifier of the frizzle gene is recessive so a bird must carry two of the modifier genes to effect the expression of the frizzle genes. The frizzle gene is also incompletely dominant. If you combine all the gene possibilities there can be varying degrees of expression in frizzled birds.

The fact that the birds are the most extreme form of frizzle presents some problems when attempting to out cross to produce a cemani. The good news is that the male chicken you want to use as a breeder should carry the recessive genes that would help modify the frizzle gene.

A bird can carry one frizzle gene and if it also carries the two recessive modifiers; the bird can look almost normal feathered.

What is the color of the shanks of the male you have in the above picture? If he has blue or slate shanks that would be good. Does he have blue or slate shanks? What color of skin does the male have? Does he have white shanks, green shanks or yellow shanks? It would be best if he had white or blue shanks.

Tim

What skin colors are dominant/ recessive? Any experience with pink layers?

Sorry CheekyMare I am taking over your thread
hide.gif

Tim
from the pic he looks crow wing(ER or E) and he seems to have black shanks(from the pics) so there is a big chance he is id+/id+

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. That roo does not have yellow skin? Would I have been correct if he did?
the color of the skin has nothing to do with the sex link thing the male could have yellow or white skin that does not matter, BUT what it does is this. if the male has clear shanks(yellow or white shanks) if that male has clear shanks and you cross it to the black skin females ALL of the birds will hatch with yellow/white skin..

why? Id. Id is a sex linked gene and turns the shank of birds white or yellow(depending on the skin color of the bird) while id+ makes them slate blue if the bird has white skin and slate gree if the bird has yellow skin..

Back
Top Bottom