I really need a new rooster, worried about fighting.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eggsrcool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

My hatch rates are terrible, pathetic even 1/6 of eggs hatch when I tested a while ago, I'm testing with a broody now, and I even have to purchase fertile eggs. I'm thinking of adding a new rooster to the flock to increase the hatch rates, but I'm worried about fighting. Should I inctroduce a rooster slowly or not at all? Could I seperate the flock, so Ican see if the new rooster will 'service' the hens more?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Some roos got it, some don't.

You put the roo in, you let him get a little hen pecked but eventually (if he's big enough) he'll rule the roost and then you test again.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Do you mean put a new rooster in the same pen with the current rooster? I wouldn't do it. They wont mesh, I'd bet. And be prepared to stop bleeding.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    put him in at night while everyone is sleeping. they'll have no idea and it'll be easier. (after detaining him in quarantine for at least 30 days of course!!!!!)

the sneak attack at night works wonders i have found.

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh, and i posted while speckledhen was typing and wholeheartedly agree...only one dude at a time. remove mr. sterility first!

6. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Yes, I do mean in the same pen, but what about if I seperate it, so one can be with my current rooster, and the hens I want to breed with the new rooster.

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I agree some roos just arent the best at it. If you need an extra roo I have tons [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: