I really need any advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by homestead 101, Nov 25, 2016.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    So here is the story-
    I live in Abbotsford BC, and recently there was a bag of 194 ducklings found by our airport, they were taken to our local spca. Then to a temporary foster home. I am adopting 2 that are approximately 2 weeks old. I just need general advice on

What housing do they need at this stage?

Can they eat chick starter?

And any other advice that u may think would help me

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    You'll need a brooder for the ducklings. They need to be kept warm. You can feed the chick starter. You need to get some Brewer's Yeast to sprinkle on top of the chick starter. Ducklings require more niacin than chicks or they will become weak and won't be able to stand. Specifically, it needs to be Brewer's Yeast, not the type of yeast you'd use for baking bread.

The main problem I had with ducklings was water. They will play in their water and get wet and perhaps get chilled if you have a container they can climb into. Also, ducklings are not water proof. They can drown. When you do decide to let them play in water you need to supervise them to make sure they are okay. Empty milk containers work well for their water. Just put a hole in the side that allows them to get their heads in but not their bodies. A couple rocks will add some weight so they can't tip the water over. As they grow the hole will get larger and higher.

You will also find that you need to change their bedding more often then you would for chicks. No matter what container you use for their water, they will get water on their bedding.

I've raised chicks, goslings, and ducklings. The ducklings by far were the messiest of the three, cute, but messy.

3. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Poor things!! They can eat unmedicated chicken starter and be housed just like chicks. Don't let them swim until they are 3-4 weeks old or they could chill. They are really messy! So be prepared to have dry shavings/bedding on hand but their cuteness makesup for it. They don't need near as much heat if any like chicks unless they get wet. Good luck!

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi.

I might bring more than two in case something happens to one of them. The loner left behind would be very sad.

Not sure, but if ducks require more protein than chickens you might also be able to try a game bird starter.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

At two weeks old they are a lot tougher.....A warm area to sleep...Play time to run around...Water and feed.....Always water or they can Choke when eating....UFA sells Duck starter, not sure if they are in BC?
    Greens.....Roman lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, peas......
    Granite Grit...........

Cheers!

7. nannychachi

nannychachi Just Hatched

Jul 1, 2016
    WV
    I bought puppy pee pads when I got my first four babies at one day old. Those pads are INVALUABLE with ducklings. I'm a nurse so I had latex gloves at home. Slip on gloves, roll up pads, toss away and lay down new ones. Their little legs didn't slide on the pads either. Of course, you'll change them 4,5 or 6 times in a 24 hour period to keep their house clean. Plus, you don't want your house to smell like duck poop, either.

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless you for helping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by