I really need some help from people who have shown their chickens (I'm in Florida with SLW, if that

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kelly G, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have four really nice quality SLW. They may not win - but I certainly wouldn't be embarrased by them....it's not like they'd be way our of their league...but I have no idea how to show.

There is a show less than 10 miles from our house on March 3rd. I soooooo want to go!

Here are some random thoughts, questions, and concerns - in no particular order:
    • Do I need my own "show-cages" to show? Waterers? Feeders? If so, where do I buy such things?
    • My birds are cared for daily, but they are not my lap pets. The rooster is calm and not aggressive, but I can't just pick him up on a whim and pet him. He tolerates being held, but would prefer to not be. Is being tolerant of hand-handling required? Is it too late to get a year old bird use to that handling?
    • My birds feathers are in nice shape (pictures below) and they do not seem to be itchy or scratchy....but how do I make SURE they don't have external parasites? If they do, what do I treat them with?
    • What else do I need to know???
    • Is it quite political (I have shown horses and dogs for most of my adult life - and it is often very political)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I am surprised to find no replies to this! I thought a lot of people showed that are on this m.b.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kelly G, if you have a contact number for the show secretary, give them a call and they should be able to answer your questions. The show provides the show cages, and may provide water and feed containers. For many shows birds must be blood tested and proven free of communicable diseases. It's been a long time since I have shown and rules have changed. Your best bet is to contact someone from the show committee. Good luck.

4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    I didn't take birds to the first show I attended and just went to see what it was all about (that helped me).

• If you do not have a NPIP number, you will need to have your birds tested at the show. A State person will be there to test them.
    • Cages are provided; you will receive an exhibitor number when you check in and your birds' designated cages will have coop cards on them with your exhibitor number. Cage cups & feed are provided; you just need to fill them.
    • It's a good idea to get your birds used to being caged for the day. I have show cages I set up and put my young birds in for a couple of days at a time so they get used to the confinement. As long as they don't mind being picked up, they should do fine with the judge.
    • Here's a link to some great tips for washing & getting a chicken ready to show: http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Washing.html
    • You'll find most chicken people at shows are very friendly & helpful to newcomers; I've been showing a little over a year and haven't run into any "politics" yet. [​IMG]

Hope this helps a little!

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Normally exhibitors fill out an entry form and there is a cut off date for entries. Go to the show and perch by the wyandottes and say hi to everyone until you find someone to talk to about all of this.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Entry Deadline:
    Postmarked by:
    Saturday February 25th, 2012
    Mail Entries to:
    Ken Lee
    Show Secretary
    6100 Panda Point
    Dunnellon, FL. 34433
    352-794-3643
    chabochampion@gmail.com

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Looking for someone from the Jacksonville area who is going to the Tampa show that could pick up a Rhode Island White cockerel for me and bring it to the show.
    hilltop_farm@earthlink.net or send me a PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by